Email at Rice
Ways to connect to your email at Rice as well as tips to practice email security.
Once you receive your Rice student or employee ID number, you can set up your Rice email account by activating your NetID. Official communication from the university will be sent only to your Rice email account so be sure to check it regularly. Your NetID will always function as an email address (NetID@rice.edu). You may also create additional email aliases to make it easier for people to remember your address (read more about creating an email alias in this article).
Google Mail vs. Webmail (Cyrus mail)
- All undergraduate and some graduate students (those enrolled at Rice after January 2019): use the Google Workspace for Education web interface for email and the full suite of Google Workspace for Education apps.
- New employees (faculty and staff) that started after January 1, 2021: use the Google web interface for email and the full suite of Google Workspace for Education apps.
- Rice employees (faculty and staff) that started before January 1, 2021, and graduate students (enrolled at Rice prior to January 2019): use the Google web interface for the Google Workspace for Education apps except for email.
Email Access Options:
- Using web browser
- Rice Google Mail: Go to https://accounts.google.com or setup an email client such as Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc. using the email client settings.
- Rice Webmail (Cyrus mail): Go to https://webmail.rice.edu/. Read more about this option in this article.
- Setup an email client such as Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc. using the email client settings.
Email Client Settings
Mail Settings for setting up Organization account for Mail clients (i.e. Microsoft Outlook)
|Mail Server Information||Address|| Advanced Settings (Protocol)
||SSL Encrypted Connection|
|Incoming Mail Server||imap.mail.rice.edu||Incoming server (IMAP)||993|
|Outgoing Mail Server||smtp.mail.rice.edu||Outgoing server (SMTP)||465|
|Username||organization account username|
|Password||organization account password|
** Organization accounts are managed by the account owner through Rice Online Account Management System: https://mynetid.rice.edu.
Secure your EmailHere are a few security tips:
- Criminals want access to your Rice email. Prevent their attacks by choosing strong passwords and changing your password frequently.
- Don't fall for phishing messages (phony + fishing = phishing). These are clever attempts to trick you into revealing your password by replying to the message or logging into a phony site designed to look like an official web page (Rice, your bank, etc).
- Don't send confidential or sensitive information by email - either in the content of the message or as an attachment. If you must send this type of information by email, use encryption or share the attachment using Box at Rice University.
- Every device you use to read your email stores a copy on the device itself. Secure all devices - desktop computers, cell phones, tablets, and laptops with a strong password and encrypt mobile devices where possible.
- Learn more on the Rice Information Security Office's website.
For more information and support, please contact the OIT Help Desk.