Getting Started with IT for Online Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
NetID and Student ID
- NetID is your unique login credential (username) for Rice resources, usually your initials followed by a number, such as abc123
- Rice Student ID is identified with "S" followed by 8 digits, such as S01234567
Activate Your NetID and Manage Your NetID Account
- NetID 101: Complete Guide: all about your NetID
- Manage Your NetID Account: account aummary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: make your NetID active
- Password Criteria: best practices for passwords
- Forgot Password? link to resetting your password
- What to do if Locked Out of Account: incorrect passwords or old passwords stored on devices
Using Duo (logging in with security)
- Duo Enrollment: enroll in multi-factor authentication
- Using Duo Authentication: how to login with Duo
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
Esther (student information system)
- Esther Self-Service - Password Reset/Forgot PIN
- Duo Two-factor Authentication and Single Sign-On for Esther
Install VPN Client Software (virtual private network for off campus access)
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
Protect your computer, data and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
- Email at Rice - connecting to your Rice email