Getting Started with IT for Online Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
NetID and Student ID
- NetID is your unique login credential (username) for Rice resources, usually your initials followed by a number, such as abc123
- Rice Student ID is identified with "S" followed by 8 digits, such as S01234567
Activate Your NetID and Manage Your NetID Account
- NetID 101: Complete Guide: all about your NetID
- Manage Your NetID Account: account aummary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: make your NetID active
- Password Criteria: best practices for passwords
- Forgot Password? link to resetting your password
- What to do if Locked Out of Account: incorrect passwords or old passwords stored on devices
Using Duo (logging in with security)
- Duo Enrollment: enroll in multi-factor authentication
- Using Duo Authentication: how to login with Duo
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
Esther (student information system)
- Esther Self-Service - Password Reset/Forgot PIN
- Duo Two-factor Authentication and Single Sign-On for Esther
Install VPN Client Software (virtual private network for off campus access)
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, you must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
- Email at Rice - connecting to your Rice email
Google Workspace for Education
- Google Workspace for Education
- Google Mail - using NetID@rice.edu and NetID or Google Password (Read about which password to use.)
Canvas (learning management system)
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs.
Resources for Students
Need Technical Support?
Contact your Online Program Support Technologist