Getting Started with IT for Online Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
NetID and Student ID
- NetID is your unique login credential (username) for Rice resources, usually your initials followed by a number, such as abc123
- Rice Student ID is identified with "S" followed by 8 digits, such as S01234567
Activate Your NetID and Manage Your NetID Account
- NetID 101: Complete Guide: all about your NetID
- Manage Your NetID Account: account summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create an email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: make your NetID active
- Password Criteria: best practices for passwords
- Forgot Password? link to resetting your password
- What to do if Locked Out of Account: incorrect passwords or old passwords stored on devices
Using Duo (logging in with security)
- Duo Enrollment: enroll in multi-factor authentication
- Using Duo Authentication: how to login with Duo
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
Esther (student information system)
- Esther Self-Service - Password Reset/Forgot PIN
- Duo Two-factor Authentication and Single Sign-On for Esther
Install VPN Client Software (virtual private network for off-campus access)
- AnyConnect for Windows (Campus Login Required)
- AnyConnect for Mac (Campus Login Required)
- AnyConnect for Red Hat Linux (Campus Login Required)
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance, and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, you must:
- Adhere and comply with the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
Protect your computer, data, and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
- Email at Rice - connecting to your Rice email
Google Workspace for Education
- Google Workspace for Education
- Google Mail - using NetID@rice.edu and NetID or Google Password (Read about which password to use.)
Canvas (learning management system)
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs.
Resources for Students
Need Technical Support?
Contact your Online Program Support Technologist