Google Workspace for Education
Google Workspacee for Education is available for current Rice faculty, staff, and students. Through this introduction, you can see the different ways in which you can utilize this resource.
Core Apps vs. Consumer Apps: Google application that are included in Google Workspace
Access Applications in Google Workspace: How to access any Core App
Access Rice Google Mail: Utilize Rice Google Mail account
Activate Your NetID
Once you receive your Rice student ID number, you can set up your Rice email account by activating your NetID. Official communication from the university will be sent only to this account so be sure to check your email regularly.
- Undergraduate and graduate students (enrolled at Rice after January 2019): use the Google web interface for email, and the full suite of Google Workspace for Education apps
- Rice faculty, staff, and graduate students (enrolled at Rice prior to January 2019) : use the Google web interface for the Google Workspace for Education apps except for email.
Core Apps vs. Consumer Apps
G Suite is a brand of cloud computing, productivity and collaborations tools, software and products developed by Google. Not all of the applications found in a free Google account are available in Google Workspace for Education.
Core Apps are governed by the Google Workspace For Education agreement between Rice University and Google and available to active Rice Accounts. Some of these applications are Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs/Sheets/Slides and Sites.
Consumer Apps are applications that are governed by either Google's Terms of Service or by app-specific terms. Consumer Apps and support are not governed by the Google Workspace for Education Agreement between Rice University and Google. Some of these applications are Youtube, Blogger, Google Books, Google Photos, and the Chrome Web Store.
- Go to Google
- Login: Netid@rice.edu
- Password: Rice Google password
Step 1: Upon logging in, select the Core Apps menu
Step 2: Once you've selected the menu option, select one of the Core Apps
- Go to Gmail
- Login: Netid@rice.edu
- Password: Rice Google Apps password
- To view the contents of your Inbox: click on Inbox.
- To send a new message: click Compose.
- To view a message in your inbox: click on the Subject of the message.
- To search your Inbox for a message: enter the keywords that you wish to search for into the search box at the top of the page.
- To change the Settings of your mail account: click the gear in the upper right corner of the Inbox.