Getting Started with IT for Undergraduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to study at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance. Check out our advice on technical requirements for your personal computer and how to obtain free or discounted software.
Getting Connected: Connect to the Rice wireless network
Rice Google Email: Setup your Rice email
Esther: Self-Service System
Canvas: Rice's Learning Management System
Zoom: Audio and Videoconferencing Platform
Duo Authentication & VPN: Two-Factor Authentication and Virtual Private Network
When can I activate my NetID?
- For New Students (Fall Semester), upon completion of the acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you can then activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon your acceptance and admission status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process
- Third-Party Mail Setup: Access your Rice email through a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Google Mail: Use your NetID@rice.edu and Rice Google Password (set up on NetID) to access your Rice email through G Suite for Education
Duo Mobile Authentication
Getting Started with Duo
Install VPN Client Software
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Need technical support? Contact the OIT Help Desk
- By Phone: 713-348-4357
- Campus extension: xHELP or x4357
- 8am – 8pm Monday - Thursday
- 8am - 6pm on Friday
- Utilize this online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help (preferred over email)
- Via email: email@example.com
- BeyondTrust (Bomgar) (start a remote support session)
Contactless Technical Support Only
All in-person services (walk-in support and office visits) have been discontinued.
All OIT support services will be provided remotely until further notice.