Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Storage > Collaboration, Sharing
Box at Rice University - Getting Started for New Users
This document provides a general overview of getting started with Box at Rice University.
- Login to Box
- Uploading Your Content to Box
- Collaborate on Files and Folders
- Replace Email Attachments with Shared Links
- Box Sync - Box Sync is a productivity tool that allows you to mirror data stored on Box to your desktop You can then navigate and modify content stored on the Box website through your computer's native file browsing interface, without using a web browser. Content that syncs down to your computer available for offline access.
- Install Box Sync
- Download Box Sync and Edit - Box Sync is a productivity tool that allows you to mirror data stored on Box to your desktop for offline access. If you make changes to your synced files locally, these changes automatically sync back up to your Box Account.
- Open and Edit Files with Box Edit - Box Edit is an add-on feature that allows you to open and edit files stored in Box and is designed for all file types, browsers, and platforms.
- Saving Files to Box with Box Edit - After editing a file using Box Edit, simply save your changes in the native application. All changes will be saved back to Box automatically as a new version of the file.
Step 2: Login to Box with Rice NetID and Password, select Login
A collaborator is an individual who has been invited to share a file or a folder. Collaboration invites are a great way to share content for long term projects. You can invite people to a folder and monitor updates over time. When a user is added to a folder as a collaborator, the folder will appear in their All Files page. If you send a collaboration invitation to a person without a Box account, that person will be prompted to sign up with Box before being able to access the content. For more information about collaboration or sharing.
Two primary ways to share content with colleagues and other associates: 1- by inviting existing Box users to folders, or 2. by sending shared links
For more information on Collaborate on Files
- Exchange ideas and feedback with your team through Comments
- Set deadlines and maximize productivity through Tasks
For more information on Replace Email Chains with Comments and Tasks
Box Sync is a productivity tool that allows you to mirror data stored on Box to your desktop for offline access. If you make changes to your synced files locally, these changes automatically sync back up to your Box Account.
- Setup folders to sync from Box to your desktop for offline access
- Edit content directly from Box through Box Edit