Rice Storage, File Sharing and Backup Solutions
Faculty, staff and students have the following options for storage, file sharing and collaboration
Help! I need to store my files and data.
Your Rice files and data can be stored in the space allocated to, or associated with, your Rice NetID in multiple locations inside Rice and in the cloud.
Rice Storage, File Sharing, and Backup Solutions
|Individual and Collaborative Storage Solutions|
|Individual User U: Drive (FAQ)||5GB||5GB||5GB||2GB|
|Rice Box (Getting Started) (
Training ) (
Can be configured for confidential and sensitve data
|Google Drive (
Google Drive Help ) (
Not recommended for confidential data
Microsoft One Drive (FAQ) (Login)
|Not recommended for confidential data|
Department Share (FAQ)
||40GB shared||40GB shared||40GB shared**||40GB shared**|
|Research Storage Solution
|File Delivery, Version, & Backup Solutions
|Crashplan for Backup for Rice-owned PCs and Macs ( Login)||§ unlimited||§ unlimited|
- *1GB automatically provisioned instructors for each Registrar-assigned course; collaborative spaces for all faculty, staff and students are available by request.
- **Students allowed to share this space only if requested by Faculty or Staff.
- ***500GB per research award, half terabyte storage containers available only to researchers and only by request. Open Help Desk ticket.
- §annual purchase required to set up this service.
Postdoctoral employees are hired as staff. Complimentary Staff,
Visitors, and External Collaborators require sponsorship by Rice Faculty
or Staff; selected storage solutions may be shared between the sponsor
and the guest.
Rice Storage Solution Links and Definitions
- Crashplan: is a cost-recovery service that will automatically backup targeted files on Rice-owned PCs and Macs. For approximately $82.56 annually per person, it can be purchased for both office and lab computers; the size of the backup is unlimited, but it can only backup and retain a copy data and files that currently exist on the computer - it is not a cumulative storage service.
- Crate: Research storage solution for Rice researchers; 500GB (.5TB) per research award, accessible through a drive mounted on a computer and available upon request. Contact the Help Desk: 713.348.4357 or email@example.com. All data is backed up on a 30 day retention cycle. Any files that are DELETED will ONLY be recoverable before 30 days prior to the deletion. IT can not guarantee deleted or corrupted data can be recovered beyond 30 days from the time of deletion or corruption.
- Department Drive: Private Rice storage solution for depts or groups; shared between all members in group or department; mount or map a drive on your computer to connect.
- Google Drive: Cloud storage solution; can share files with internal and external email addresses; login to google.com, using NetID and Rice Google password.
- Individual User U: Drive: Private Rice storage solution associated with NetID, not shared; mount or map a drive on your computer to connect.
- Rice Box: Cloud storage solution based inside US; can share with internal NetID addresses and external collaborators' addresses; login with Rice NetID and NetID password.
What about email? An
email account is not a good storage solution for
important data or correspondence. Choose one of the storage
locations described above instead to retain important data and
What about my other solutions? Do not use your Rice NetID or password for non-Rice accounts. Storing critical or sensitive Rice data on external solutions NOT under contract to Rice poses a significant security risk to the university.The same security risk exists if you store Rice data in a non-NetID account on Google or Box. For definitions of sensitive and confidential Rice data, see the PDF for Rice Policy 808.