Getting Started with IT for Graduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to study at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance.
Getting Connected: Connect to the Rice wireless network
Rice Google Email: Setup your Rice email
Esther: Self-Service System
Canvas: Rice's Learning Management System
Zoom: Audio and Videoconferencing Platform
Duo Authentication & VPN: Two-Factor Authentication and Virtual Private Network
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
Additional Resources for Students
Need technical support? Contact the OIT Help Desk
Each Rice student is given a Student ID (e.g. S01234567) and a NetID (e.g. abc123). Your Rice student ID is mainly used for student identification while your NetID is your unique login credential for most Rice computing resources. Having a NetID will allow you to gain access to the various computing systems at Rice. A NetID could also be used in conjunction with Duo, a multi-factor authentication tool, as well for systems that require additional security (Esther or VPN).
*Note: Some graduate students will have a Student ID beginning with "E"
When can I activate my NetID?
- For new graduate students, upon completion of the acceptance process, you will receive your graduate department acceptance notification with your NetID. You can then activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon your acceptance and admission status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process
The Rice network is the most reliable way to connect to internet while on campus. To connect to Rice Owls which is secure wireless connection open to the Rice community, you can follow the steps below. Note that computers as well as printers are accessible in campus labs as well as Mudd Lab and Fondren Library.
Step 1: Connect your computer to the Rice network and set it up to use Rice printers.
Note: Setting up printers may vary by your department
Step 2: Connect your mobile devices to the Rice network.
The following are the different ways which you can access your Rice Google Email.
- Third-Party Mail Setup: Access your Rice email through a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Google Mail: Use your NetID@rice.edu and Rice Google Password (set up on NetID) to access your Rice email through Google Workspace for Education.
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System (LMS) for all course-related curriculum needs. Canvas will be the main platform used for classes but it can also be used for passing on important announcements.
- Rice Canvas: Canvas Login and Student Resources
- Canvas FAQ: Commonly asked Canvas questions for Students
Zoom is a cloud video and audio conferencing platform that will be used by instructors to hold virtual lectures or office hours. Each Rice Graduate student are given Zoom License accounts that lets them sign into zoom using their NetID.
- Zoom for Rice Students: Download Zoom and launch a session
- Best Zoom Practices: Advice on appropriate etiquette while videoconferencing
Duo Mobile Authentication
Getting Started with Duo
Install VPN Client Software
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, you must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
IT Status: Stay informed on IT Maintenance and Events
OIT: Office of Information Technology service information
Software Available for Students: List of Free and Discounted Software
Collaboration and Storage Options: Storage, File Sharing, and Collaboration Resources for Students
Get Started: Students - OIT web site
Hours of Operations
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
All in-person services are by appointment only (walk-in and office visits).
OIT Help Desk Support
- Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
- Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BeyondTrust (Bomgar) - start a remote support session
- Rice KnowledgeBase (self-service documentation): https://kb.rice.edu
- While teaching, if you experience technical difficulties, call: 713-348-4989.
Teaching and Learning Resources
- Canvas technical support
- Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via hotline or chat
- Login to Canvas, select the Help button in the Global Navigation bar
- Teaching & Learning FAQ