Getting Started with IT for Faculty and Staff
The information below provides the steps for getting started with the different resources that are available for faculty and staff. Using this document, you can activate your NetID, connect to the wireless network at Rice, setup your email as well as learn about the various tools that are available to assist faculty and staff.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to work at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance. Learn more about campus digital security (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
Esther: self-service system for academic purposes
Canvas: Rice's Learning Management System
Zoom: Audio and video conferencing platform
Duo Authentication & VPN: Two-Factor Authentication and Virtual Private Network
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
Additional Resources for Faculty and Staff
Need technical support? Contact the OIT Help Desk
When can I activate my NetID?
- After you are hired and your New Hire paperwork is filed, you can activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon completion of your employment status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process.
- New accounts for Rice faculty and staff can accessed through Google Workspace for Education which provides access to email, in addition to other tools such as Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, and Meet.
- Email can be set up using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Accessing your Rice Google mail will require Duo security authentication.
Support for Human Resources Service Center and Finance Service Centers: https://imagineone.rice.edu/io-support
- Rice Canvas: Canvas Login and Helpful Instructor Resources
- Canvas FAQ : Commonly Asked Questions for Instructors
- Rice Canvas 101: Instructor Guide to Canvas
- Canvas Workshops: Canvas Training Center
Zoom is a cloud video and audio conferencing platform that will be used by instructors to hold virtual lectures or office hours. Each Rice faculty or staff are given Zoom License accounts that lets them sign into zoom using their NetID.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and its purpose is to provide additional digital security. Rice's VPN system allows secure transportation of data between the university network and a remote computer connected to the Internet outside of Rice. For security reasons, many Rice resources can only be accessed from the Rice network– either from an on campus location or using VPN.
You need to download the necessary software, AnyConnect VPN, for your computer (also called client). See the next section for links to download the software, which will require you to use the Duo authentication service. If you have not set up Duo previously, see the section below, Duo Authentication.
Before you download the software, you must agree to certain conditions to using Rice's VPN software, including:
- you acknowledge that the software and your account are for your personal use only and may not be used by any other person or entity anywhere in the world for any purpose
- you will not give anyone access to the VPN software or your account in order to access the Rice University network.
- that taking your computer with installed VPN software outside of the United States is viewed by the U.S. government as an export of the VPN software and may require prior government authorization for several specific countries (for example Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria). Email email@example.com at the Office of Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance for more information.
Use the links (campus login required) below to access information about how to install and use the VPN software for specific devices:
To get started with Duo, read All about Duo. This document will explain how to use Duo for managing and enrolling devices as well using the authentication service while traveling.
If you need assistance setting up VPN or Duo, contact the OIT Help Desk.
Proofpoint is a protection gateway for email to block known threats such as spam and phishing detection. Individuals are able to create and maintain their own safelists and blocklists. Refer to: https://kb.rice.edu/71423
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer, data and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
OIT Help Desk
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(excluding university holidays)
Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
Remote support: BeyondTrust (Bomgar)