Getting Started with IT for Faculty and Staff
The information below provides the steps for getting started with the different resources that are available for faculty and staff. Using this document, you can activate your NetID, connect to the wireless network at Rice, setup your email as well as learn about the various tools that are available to assist faculty and staff.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to work at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance. Learn more about campus digital security (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
To view a general overview of services, see Welcome: Faculty & Staff.
Setup: Connections and Email
Esther: self-service system for academic purposes
Canvas: Rice's Learning Management System
Zoom: Audio and video conferencing platform
VPN with Duo: Virtual Private Network and Two-Factor Authentication
Setup: Connections and Email
When can I activate my NetID?
- After you are hired and your New Hire paperwork is filed, you can activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon completion of your employment status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process.
- New accounts for Rice faculty and staff can accessed through Google Workspace for Education which provides access to email, in addition to other tools such as Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, and Meet.
- Email can be set up using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Accessing your Rice Google mail will require Duo security authentication.
Employee self-service functions, such as direct deposit, employee benefit selections, and absence management are available in the iO system. Financial services and reporting are also part of iO.
- Rice Canvas: Canvas Login and Helpful Instructor Resources
- Canvas FAQ : Commonly Asked Questions for Instructors
- Rice Canvas 101: Instructor Guide to Canvas
- Canvas Workshops: Canvas Training Center
Zoom is a cloud video and audio conferencing platform that will be used by instructors to hold virtual lectures or office hours. Each Rice faculty or staff are given Zoom License accounts that lets them sign into zoom using their NetID.
- Zoom: Download Zoom and launch a session
- Best Zoom Practices: Advice on appropriate etiquette while videoconferencing
- Zoom vs. Webinar: See when to use Zoom or Webinar for meetings
- Zoom Tutorial: Watch videos on how to navigate Zoom
The Rice Virtual Private Networking (VPN) system allows secure transportation of data between the university network and a remote computer connected to the Internet outside of Rice. You can access Rice's network resources while off-campus using the VPN.
- Complete Guide to VPN - how to obtain software and use it with Duo, authentication system.
Proofpoint is a protection gateway for email to block known threats such as spam and phishing detection. Individuals are able to create and maintain their own safe lists and block lists. Refer to: https://kb.rice.edu/71423.
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer, data and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
OIT Help Desk
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(excluding university holidays)
Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
Remote support: BeyondTrust (Bomgar)