Getting Started with IT for Faculty and Staff
The information below provides the steps for getting started with the different resources that are available for faculty and staff. Using this document, you can activate your NetID, connect to the wireless network at Rice, setup your email as well as learn about the various tools that are available to assist faculty and staff.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to work at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance.
Zoom: Audio and video conferencing platform
Duo Authentication & VPN: Two-Factor Authentication and Virtual Private Network
When can I activate my NetID?
- After you are hired and your New Hire paperwork is filed, you can activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon completion of your employment status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process.
- New accounts for Rice faculty and staff can accessed through Google Workspace for Education which provides access to email, in addition to other tools such as Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, and Meet.
- Email can be set up using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Accessing your Rice Google mail will require Duo security authentication.
Support for Human Resources Service Center and Finance Service Centers: https://imagineone.rice.edu/io-support
- Rice Canvas: Canvas Login and Helpful Instructor Resources
- Canvas FAQ : Commonly Asked Questions for Instructors
- Rice Canvas 101: Instructor Guide to Canvas
- Canvas Workshops: Canvas Training Center
Zoom is a cloud video and audio conferencing platform that will be used by instructors to hold virtual lectures or office hours. Each Rice faculty or staff are given Zoom License accounts that lets them sign into zoom using their NetID.
Duo Mobile Authentication
Getting Started with Duo
Install VPN Client Software
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Hours of Operations
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
All in-person services are by appointment only (walk-in and office visits).
OIT Help Desk Support
- Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
- Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BeyondTrust (Bomgar) - start a remote support session
- Rice KnowledgeBase (self-service documentation): https://kb.rice.edu
- While teaching, if you experience technical difficulties, call: 713-348-4989.
Teaching and Learning Resources
- Canvas technical support
- Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via hotline or chat
- Login to Canvas, select the Help button in the Global Navigation bar
- Teaching & Learning FAQ