Getting Started with IT for Online Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will assist you in "Getting Started" with IT resources.
NetID and Student ID
- NetID is your unique login credential (Username) for Rice resources.
- Rice Student ID is identified with "S" followed by 8 digits, such as S01234567
Activate Your NetID | Manage Your NetID Account
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: Using your Rice ID, you can "activate your NetID", Jot down your NetID
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password
- Forgot Password?
For more information, visit MyNetID Instructions
Esther Self-Service - Password Reset/Forgot PIN
- Enroll in two-factor authentication - Duo Enrollment
- Authentication - Using Duo Authentication
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
- Install VPN Client
Install VPN Client Software
- AnyConnect for Windows (Campus Login Required)
- AnyConnect for Mac (Campus Login Required)
- AnyConnect for Red Hat Linux (Campus Login Required)
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, all users must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Rice Graduate Email
- Email Setup - using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Graduate Students use the Google Mail and web interface for Core apps.
- Core Apps - Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, Meet.
- Google Mail - using NetID@rice.edu and Google Password
Learning Management System (LMS) : Canvas
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs.
Rice LMS > Canvas
Resources for Students
Need Technical Support?
Contact your Online Program Support Technologist