Zoom for Rice Students
Information for using Zoom for students taking Rice courses online.
Please keep your Zoom software updated for the latest security fixes.
Getting Started: Zoom Videoconferencing
Zoom unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. This solution offers audio, video, and screen-sharing experience across Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Blackberry platforms.
All undergraduates and graduate students have Zoom License accounts (formerly called Pro accounts).
Google Hangout Meet is the recommended backup tool for virtual meetings accessible through the Google Workspace platform.
Downloading/Installing the App
- Download the Zoom application for your Windows, Macintosh, iOS, or Android device(s). Note: Download here for use in China only.
- Once downloaded, install the app.
- Launch the app and choose Sign In. Make sure to Sign in with SSO.
- Should you be asked, Rice's domain is riceuniversity.zoom.us
- Enter your current Rice NetID and password.
Launching a Session
- To join a session that your instructor has setup, click on the link that is provided to you.
- When prompted, select Join Audio Conference by Computer. You will want to make sure your microphone and speakers on your computer are working as well as your webcam.
- Having problems? Check out Zoom Support.
- Need help with your computer, microphone or speakers? Contact the Rice OIT Help Desk.
- For additional assistance with using Zoom, review this Getting Started guide.
- Student Guidelines for Online Learning Best Practices for Zoom
- Getting Started Desktop, Mobile, Training, FAQ, Installation
- Zoom Video Tutorials Register for upcoming live training or access recent Zoom Videos (Zoom Meetings, Webinars)
- Download Download Zoom application for your Windows, Macintosh, iOS, Android devices
- Support Zoom Help Center
- Training Weekly Zoom Training webinars; Zoom Video Tutorials
Zoom Cloud Recording Retention Policy
- Academic class recordings stored in the Zoom cloud will be deleted 60 days from the official last day of each semester. Beginning March 1st, Zoom recordings from spring, summer, and fall 2020 academic classes will be deleted from Zoom cloud storage.
- Non-academic recordings stored in the Zoom cloud will be deleted 9 months after the recording date.
- Deleted recordings will be stored in the Zoom trash for 30 days and can only be retrieved and downloaded by the meeting host.
- After 30 days, the recordings are permanently removed and will no longer be accessible. The meeting host will receive a notification 7 days prior to the recording being permanently deleted. This is the meeting host’s final opportunity to download and store the recording in an alternative location. The meeting host will receive a notification 7 days prior to the scheduled deletion.
Download Zoom Cloud Recordings