Getting Started with IT for Undergraduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to study at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance. Check out our advice on technical requirements for your personal computer and how to obtain free or discounted software.
Getting Connected: Connect to the Rice wireless network
Rice Google Email: Setup your Rice email
When can I activate my NetID?
- For New Students (Fall Semester), upon completion of the acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you can then activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon your acceptance and admission status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process
- Log in to Rice Google Mail to access your Rice Google Workspace: Use your NetID@rice.edu and NetID or NetID password (Read about which password to use.).
Duo Mobile Authentication
Getting Started with Duo
Install VPN Client Software
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Hours of Operations
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
All in-person services are by appointment only (walk-in and office visits).
OIT Help Desk Support
- Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
- Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
- Email: email@example.com
- BeyondTrust (Bomgar) - start a remote support session
- Rice KnowledgeBase (self-service documentation): https://kb.rice.edu
- While teaching, if you experience technical difficulties, call: 713-348-4989.
Teaching and Learning Resources
- Canvas technical support
- Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via hotline or chat
- Login to Canvas, select the Help button in the Global Navigation bar
- Teaching & Learning FAQ