Getting Started with IT for Undergraduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
OIT can get you set up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to study at the university. This document introduces basic services so feel free to reach out for help as you have questions or need assistance. Check out our advice on technical requirements for your personal computer and how to obtain free or discounted software. Learn more about campus digital security (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
Getting Connected: Connect to the Rice wireless network
Rice Google Email: Setup your Rice email
When can I activate my NetID?
- For New Students (Fall Semester), upon completion of the acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you can then activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your Rice ID upon your acceptance and admission status.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process
- Log in to Rice Google Mail to access your Rice Google Workspace: Use your NetID@rice.edu and NetID or NetID password (Read about which password to use.).
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and its purpose is to provide additional digital security. Rice's VPN system allows secure transportation of data between the university network and a remote computer connected to the Internet outside of Rice. For security reasons, many Rice resources can only be accessed from the Rice network– either from an on campus location or using VPN.
You need to download the necessary software, AnyConnect VPN, for your computer (also called client). See the next section for links to download the software, which will require you to use the Duo authentication service. If you have not set up Duo previously, see the section below, Duo Authentication.
Before you download the software, you must agree to certain conditions to using Rice's VPN software, including:
- you acknowledge that the software and your account are for your personal use only and may not be used by any other person or entity anywhere in the world for any purpose
- you will not give anyone access to the VPN software or your account in order to access the Rice University network.
- that taking your computer with installed VPN software outside of the United States is viewed by the U.S. government as an export of the VPN software and may require prior government authorization for several specific countries (for example Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria). Email firstname.lastname@example.org at the Office of Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance for more information.
Use the links (campus login required) below to access information about how to install and use the VPN software for specific devices:
To get started with Duo, read All about Duo. This document will explain how to use Duo for managing and enrolling devices as well using the authentication service while traveling.
If you need assistance setting up VPN or Duo, contact the OIT Help Desk.
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer, data and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
OIT Help Desk
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(excluding university holidays)
Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
Remote support: BeyondTrust (Bomgar)