Getting Started with IT for Undergraduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will introduce you to Rice IT resources.
OIT can set you up with the technology, accounts, and access necessary to study at the university. This document introduces basic services for new undergraduates so feel free to reach out for help if you have questions or need assistance. Check out our advice to undergraduates on minimum computer requirements for coursework that includes links to vendor discounts and how to obtain free or discounted software. Learn more about phishing scams and campus digital security (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
To view a general overview of services or previous communications, see Get Started: Undergraduate Students.
Getting Connected: Connect to the Rice wireless network
Rice Google Email: Setup your Rice email
Duo: authentication service
Esther: register for classes, view academic records
Canvas: academic course system
Zoom: audio and videoconferencing platform
VPN (Virtual Private Network): secure off-campus access to the Rice network
When can I activate my NetID?
- New students (entering the fall semester) upon completion of the acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you'll get an email about how to activate your NetID.
- After being accepted and admitted, you will receive an email with your Rice ID and your Rice NetID within 24-48 hours.
- Make note of your NetID during the activation process
- Log in to Rice Google Mail to access your Rice Google Workspace: Use your NetID@rice.edu and NetID or NetID password.
- All About Duo - enrolling devices in Duo and using them for authentication
- Rice Canvas: Canvas Login and Student Resources
- Canvas FAQ: Commonly asked Canvas questions for Students
- Zoom for Rice Students: Download Zoom and launch a session
- Best Zoom Practices: Advice on appropriate etiquette while videoconferencing
The Rice Virtual Private Networking (VPN) system allows secure transportation of data between the university network and a remote computer connected to the Internet outside of Rice. You can access Rice's network resources while off-campus using the VPN.
- Complete Guide to VPN - how to obtain software and use it with Duo
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance, and Computer Security
- Adhere and comply with the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
- Protect your computer, data, and university resources by following the digital security principles in the Security Awareness: Campus Guide (viewing requires login with Rice NetID and password).
Additional Resources for Students
OIT Help Desk
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(excluding university holidays)
Phone: 713-348-4357 or on-campus extension: xHELP or x4357
Online form: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help
Remote support: BeyondTrust (Bomgar)