Topics Map > •Network Services > -Wired
Topics Map > •Network Services > -Wireless
Optimal Use of Rice Networks
Use the wired network for devices that have an ethernet port that doesn’t move (e.g. a dock for your laptop, a desktop computer, or a gaming console) or devices for which you need a very fast internet connection (e.g. gaming computer).
For devices that support 802.1X authentication to connect to WPA2-Enterprise networks (basically all computers), follow the directions for your respective operating system:
- Manually Configure RiceNet3 with PEAP MSCHAPv2
For devices that do not support 802.1X authentication to connect to WPA2-Enterprise networks, such as game consoles or smart TVs, register your device at the Game Registration Portal.
For more information: Find the wired MAC address (needed for registering your device)
Rice has different networks that each have their own purpose:
Rice Owls is meant for all Rice students, faculty, and staff. To connect to Rice Owls, enter your NetID and password when prompted.
Eduroam is a network that exists at universities around the world. Eduroam exists so that students and faculty around the world have the freedom to travel to different universities and be able to easily connect to fast, secure WiFi. Eduroam uses the same bandwidth as Rice Owls, so there’s no benefit to using Eduroam while on Rice campus. If you travel to a different university and wish to use Eduroam, you can connect by entering your username as NetID@rice.edu and your NetID password.
Rice Visitor is for campus visitors, who want access to WiFi. Rice Visitor is not recommended for Rice students, faculty, and staff.
If you have a device that is not capable of connecting to Rice Owls or Rice Visitor and does not have an ethernet port, you should consider purchasing a USB-Ethernet adapter and follow the instructions for registering the MAC address of the adapter with the Game Registration Portal.
Report Network Problems
If you are having a problem with either the wired or wireless network, please contact OIT so we can help you resolve the problem. In order to resolve the problem quickly and effectively, submit a Help Desk Ticket and include the following info:
- The specific type of device
- Ex. Apple iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy S7, Dell XPS 13, Macbook Pro, Kindle Fire, Xbox One S, etc.
- The operating system and version
- Ex. Android 8.0 Oreo, iOS 11.1, MacOS 10.13.1 High Sierra, Windows 10, etc.
- The MAC address of the device you are using to connect
- Note: devices with WiFi and ethernet will have a wireless MAC address and a wired MAC address. Make sure you are including the one that corresponds to the method of connecting with which you are having a problem.
- Which network you are having trouble with
- Rice Owls Wired, Rice Owls Wireless, Rice Visitor, Eduroam, etc.
- Where you are trying to connect
- In your room (include building and room number), in Fondren, in your college commons, all of the above
- When the problem is happening
- Is this a one-time event? Has it occurred before? How many times before? How long has it been happening?
Including all of this information will not only help us help you faster, but it will also help us gather information about the Rice networks for any long-term improvements that help everyone!