Print from your own computer (Mac) - Plotters
This document explains how to add the Mudd Lab plotters to your own personal Macintosh.
Once you have the drivers installed, you can follow the steps in Printing on the Mudd Lab Plotters.
There are two ways for adding the Mudd plotters to your Macintosh device:
(NOTE: This command line method is easier than it sounds. You cut-and-paste the commands listed in this section.)
Plotters Drivers Package (Install prior to adding if necessary)
1. Click on the Apple logo in the top left corner. From the menu, select Systems Preferences.
2. In System Preferences, select Printers & Scanners.
3. In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, select the "+" to add the printer.
4. On the pop-up screen, right click or CTRL click the banner and select Customize Toolbar.
5. You can drag and place the Advanced icon to the top banner of your window.
6. After the "Advanced" option has been added, select the icon and fill in the appropriate settings as follows:
- Type: Windows / Windows printer via spoolss
- Device: Another Device
- URL: smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plottername
- Name: Rename plotter if necessary
- Location: Nothing needed in this field
- Use: Using the dropdown menu, choose:
- Select Software
- In query window, upper right corner, type the manufacturer name and model of the printer you are trying to setup. Choose the correct printer and hit OK. The correct driver will populate at the bottom of the window as illustrated below.
- If the printer driver is unlisted, refer to the instructions at the top of this page and install the relevant driver(s).
7. The next time you choose to print from the newly installed printer, you will be prompted to enter your NetID and password to print.
- Login as ADRICE\yournetID and select OK.
If the job does not reach the printer due to an authentication error in the computer's print queue, delete the print job and try again. It should work successively thereafter.
- STEP 1: Open the Terminal.app program found in the /Applications/Utilities/ directory on your Macintosh (you need to be an administrator on your computer to do this)
- STEP 2: At the prompt, cut and paste the command string for the printer(s) you want to configure.
To add the GLOSSY PAPER PLOTTER (GPlotter) printer queue, use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_gplotter" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/gplotter" -D "IT-GPlotter" -L "Mudd Operations Desk Glossy Plotter" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Designjet T7200ps.gz" -E -o printer-is-shared=false
To add the PLAIN PAPER (MATTE) PLOTTER (Plotter1) printer queue, use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_plotter1" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter1" -D "IT-Plotter1" -L "Mudd Operations Desk Plain Paper Plotter" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP PageWide XL 4500PS.gz" -E -o printer-is-shared=false
To add the PLAIN PAPER (MATTE) PLOTTER (Plotter2) printer queue, use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_plotter2" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter2" -D "IT-Plotter2" -L "Mudd Operations Desk Plain Paper Plotter" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP PageWide XL 4500PS.gz" -E -o printer-is-shared=false
To add the the MD101PS (The main lab printer in Mudd), use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_md101ps" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/md101ps" -D "IT-MD101PS" -L "Mudd Operations Desk B & W" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP LaserJet 4250.gz" -E -o HPOption_Tray3=True -o HPOption_Duplexer=True -o printer-is-shared=false
When you print to these queues, because they require your Rice NetID authentication to proceed, you may need to click on the "retry" button to get the authentication prompt.
NOTE: Your security settings might block the execution of a downloaded shell script (and that's a good thing for security). However, to run this script, you might need to temporarily disable it.
Queue Names for Common Printers on the OWLPRINTING server
For plotter printing with regular paper, use the following queues in the URL field:
HP PageWide XL 4500
HP PageWide XL 4500
For plotter printing with glossy paper, use the following queue in the URL field:
HP DesignJet T7200
For color printing, use:
HP PageWide Color E75160
For black and white printing, use:
|smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/md101ps||HP LaserJet M605|
For more information and support, please contact the OIT Help Desk.