How to determine if your computer is encrypted with BitLocker (PC) or FileVault (Mac)
This document will illustrate how to determine if your PC or Mac computer is encrypted.
For Windows Users (BitLocker)
Windows 7 (BitLocker)
- Click the Start Menu icon
- Select "Control Panel"
- Select "BitLocker Drive Encryption"
- If you see the word "On", then BitLocker encryption is enabled on this computer.
Windows 10 (BitLocker)
- Sign in to Windows with an administrator account.
- Click the Start Menu icon, enter "encryption," and select "Manage BitLocker."
- If you see the word "On", then BitLocker is turned on for this computer.
For Mac Users (FileVault)
- Under the Apple Menu in the upper left corner of the screen, select "System Preferences".
- In the System Preferences window, click on "Security & Privacy."
- Click on the "FileVault" tab.
- FileVault is "turned on" and the "recovery key" has been set.