Guidelines for Emailing the ALLDEPTS Mailing List
This document explains the rules of sending messages to the moderated ALLDEPTS mailing list by members of the Rice community.
ALLDEPTS is an e-mail list reserved for official announcements of university activities and for conducting official business on behalf of the university. ALLDEPTS is a moderated mailing list and announcements must be of wide interest to the university community.
Messages that are permitted include:
- Campus and community event announcements, such as addresses by public figures, conferences, receptions, town hall meetings, commencement
- Campus updates and services, such as HR benefits enrollment periods, technology updates, utility outages, field and street closures
Messages that will not be approved include those relating to:
- Non-Rice activities or business
- Disposing of personal property (pets, automobiles, recordings, plants, tickets, etc.)
- Schedules or events of interest only to your department
- Discussions or other public dialogs
- Personal messages, including statements of personal opinion
- Chain letters of any type
How to Submit a Message
Email email@example.com to submit a message to the mailing list. The ALLDEPTS list is moderated by the President's Office.
NOTE: Ensure that your message is exactly how you want it to appear to ALLDEPTS readers. Moderators can't modify the messages. Do not include messages to moderators, such as "Please send this message on this date." The moderator can't remove this message. In general, messages are approved once a day.
If you have questions about the appropriate use of ALLDEPTS, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribing to ALLDEPTS
Many faculty and staff at Rice receive ALLDEPTS messages through their department mailing list. Some departments moderate this and only some of the messages are sent to their staff.
Anyone with a rice.edu e-mail address can subscribe individually to the announcements: https://mailman.rice.edu/mailman/listinfo/alldepts