Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Printing
Print from your own computer (Mac)
Instructions for printing from your own personal Mac
To connect and print, your computer must be connected to the Rice
Owls Wireless or Wired Networks. If you are off-campus, start by logging
in to VPN.
Also, you should install the printer drivers before configuring the printers.
HP PageWide XL 4500 This is an ftp link to the Mac OS driver installer on HP's website, the installer will go to your downloads folder. You will get a certificate expired notice when you install the drivers, tell your Mac that you trust it and proceed with the install. We have asked HP to update their certificate.
HP DesignJet 4000 Series Plotter Drivers
HP Printer Drivers
There are 2 methods for adding the Mudd printer queues to your Macintosh. The GUI method (below) and by way of using the lpadmin command in the Terminal window.
The command line method is easier than it sounds--you just cut-and-paste the commands listed at the bottom of the page to add the desired printers. Even easier, just use the shell script linked at the bottom of this sections.
METHOD 1: Using the MacOS Graphical User Interface (GUI):
1. From the apple menu select Systems Preferences.
2. In System Preferences, select Print & Fax or Print & Scan.
3. In the print and fax preference pane, select the "+" to add the printer.
4. At the pop up screen, right click or CTRL click the banner and select Customize Toolbar.
5. You can can drag and place the advanced icon to the top banner of your window.
6. After the "advanced" option has been added, select the icon and fill in the appropriate settings as follows:
- Type : Windows / Windows printer via spoolss
- Device : Another device
- URL : smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/printername
- Name : Rename printer if necessary
- Location : Nothing needed in this field
- Print Using: Using selection menu at right end of this field, choose:
- Select Printer Software
- In query window, upper right corner, type the manufacturer name and model of the printer you are trying to setup. Choose the correct printer and hit OK. The correct driver will show up at the bottom of the window as illustrated on the screen-shot below.
- If the printer driver is unlisted, go to: and install
7. Next please visit the Printer and Plotter Locations & Rates page to find if the printer you are installing has duplex available. If so, then be sure to install the option to print dual sided.
8. Your printer should be added now.
9. Next time you choose to print from the newly installed printer you will be prompted to enter your netID and password to print.
- Login as ADRICE\yournetID and select OK.
If the job does not reach the printer due to an authentication error in
the computer's print queue, delete the print job and try again. It
should work successively thereafter.
METHOD 2 (Unix Terminal method)
STEP 1: Open the Terminal.app program found in the /Applications/Utilities/ directory on your Macintosh (you need to be an administrator on your computer to do this)
STEP 2: At the prompt, cut and paste the command string for the printer(s) you want to configure.
To add the GLOSSY PLOTTER (GPlotter) printer queue, use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_gplotter" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/gplotter" -D "IT-GPlotter" -L "Mudd Operations Desk Glossy Plotter" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Designjet 4000 PS3.gz" -E -o printer-is-shared=false
To add the PLAIN PAPER PLOTTER (Plotter1) printer queue, use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_plotter1" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter1" -D "IT-Plotter1" -L "Mudd Operations Desk Plain Paper Plotter" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Designjet 4020 PS3.gz" -E -o printer-is-shared=false
To add the the MD101PS (The main lab printer in Mudd), use this command:
lpadmin -p "it_md101ps" -v "smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/md101ps" -D "IT-MD101PS" -L "Mudd Operations Desk B & W" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP LaserJet 4250.gz" -E -o HPOption_Tray3=True -o HPOption_Duplexer=True -o printer-is-shared=false
When you print to these queues, because they require your Rice NetID authentication to proceed, you may need to click on the "retry" botton to get the authentication prompt.
Additional print queues are listed below.
You can also download this shell script which will add the 4 above printers automatically if you are an administrator and have installed all of the printer drivers before running.Mudd Print Queues
NOTE: Your security settings will block the execution of a downloaded shell script (and that's a good thing for security). However, to run this script, you will need to temporarily disable Mountain Lion's "Gate Keeper" in MacOS X v10.7x and v10.8x. See the instructions here for doing that:
Queue Names for Common Printers on the OWLPRINTING server
For plotter printing (regular paper), use the following queues in the URL field:
HP PageWide XL 4500 smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter4 HP PageWide XL 4500 smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter5 HP DesignJet 4000ps smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/plotter6 HP DesignJet 4020ps
HP PageWide XL 4500
HP PageWide XL 4500
HP DesignJet 4000ps
HP DesignJet 4020ps
For plotter printing with glossy paper, use the following queue in the URL field:
smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/gplotter HP DesignJet 4020ps
HP DesignJet 4020ps
For color printing, use:
smb://owlprinting.ad.rice.edu/fondrencolor HP Laserjet M750
HP Laserjet M750
For black and white printing, use:
HP LaserJet 4250dn