Guidelines for Emailing the ALLDEPTS Mailing List
- Campus and community event announcements, such as addresses by public figures, conferences, receptions, town hall meetings, commencement
- Campus updates and services, such as HR benefits enrollment periods, technology updates, utility outages, field, and street closures
- Non-Rice activities or business
- Disposing of personal property (pets, automobiles, recordings, plants, tickets, etc.)
- Schedules or events of interest only to your department
- Discussions or other public dialogs
- Personal messages, including statements of personal opinion
- Chain letters of any type
How to Submit a Message
As you create your message, ask yourself if everyone who receives it will be able to perceive and understand it equally. Your diverse audience might include people with visual and cognitive disabilities who use assistive technologies like screen readers. The following list contains tips for avoiding common accessibility barriers in email messages.
- Avoid sending blank emails with only a PDF attachment. Make sure the body of the email message contains all of the important text from the attached file, such as the Who, What, When, Where, etc. Also, make sure the attached file meets digital accessibility standards.
- Include alternative text for all graphical elements.
- Link text should be descriptive: "Register for Zoom workshop" instead of "Click here to register"
- Learn more by reading 7 Guidelines for Accessible Mailing List Emails.