Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Account Management > Email Account
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Account Management > NetID
Discontinuation of Accounts and Access for Inactive/Graduated Students
Procedures and timing for deactivating student services for students after graduation.
Active vs. Inactive Student Status
Student accounts remain active for one year following graduation. After the one-year period, student accounts become inactive. Active student status is required to retain access to IT resources.
Once students become inactive, they will no longer have access to the following resources:
- Rice University email account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rice Google Apps for Education (including Rice Google calendar and Rice Google drive)
- Rice collaboration and storage systems, including Rice Box, Rice O365 OneDrive, and personal and/or departmental storage folders
- Campus systems such as Canvas, OWL-Space, and library journals
- Rice licensed software, such as Microsoft Office 365, MatLab, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.
- Rice computing facilities including computers, printers, networks, and VPN (virtual private network)
- OIT Help Desk services
Preparing for Inactive Status
The following resources are available:
- Use Google Takeout to export your Rice Google data and messages to another account. Go to the following resource: https://kb.rice.edu/85449 Any files you own or share will be lost. Take steps to backup or change ownership (especially if you share them within a Rice department or club).
- To learn about setting up a Rice Alumni email account, go to: https://riceconnect.rice.edu/
- You will have access to the Center for Career Development: https://ccd.rice.edu/