Microsoft Teams: Requesting a New Team
This article explains how students, faculty, and staff can request a new team in the Microsoft Teams platform, transfer ownership or rename an existing team.
Microsoft Teams allows for the creation of teams and channels where you can collaborate, post messages and other media to a group, and share and update files. Rice students and employees can request the creation of a new team by following these steps. Note: if you need to rename a team or change the owner, submit a request the same way.
- Open a request ticket with the OIT Help Desk or Jones Graduate School of Business IT:
- 713-348-HELP (x4357)
- Clearly identify the purpose of the team you’re requesting. Is it for a club? Is it specific to a college, or another group within the university? The more descriptive you can be and the more information you can provide, the faster we’ll be able to fulfill your request.
- Tell us who the owner of the team should be, if someone other than yourself. The owner is responsible for managing the team (see step 5 below).
- You will also need to state whether the team should be Public or Private.
- Public groups can be seen and joined by any students, staff, or faculty at Rice.
- Private groups are hidden and members can only be added by the team owner.
- Once your team is created, the owner can control and manage the team by viewing options, which are visible after clicking on the ellipses to the right of the team name. (However: Do not change the name of your team yourself. Contact the OIT Help Desk or Jones IT for assistance.)