Laptop Loaner Program
A short-term laptop loaner program is available to current Rice students, faculty, and staff.
- The program is intended to bridge a gap when an individual's primary computer need to be repaired and a temporary productivity computer is needed.
- Due to limited supply, check out is subject to a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Loans to faculty and staff are limited to a maximum of two weeks.
- The loaner program is not intended to fill any long-term departmental resource needs.
- Undergraduates may also check out a loaner laptop if they are unable to visit a classroom or lab due to COVID-19 restrictions or quarantine. (Undergraduates who need to request a loaner laptop for longer than six weeks in total should submit a request through the Access and Opportunity Portal at https://aop.rice.edu.)
OIT's current loaner inventory includes both Mac and Windows laptops. Each laptop comes with the following software installed:
To request a loaner laptop:
- Submit an OIT Help Desk Ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by completing the OIT Help Request form here: https://oit.rice.edu/request-help.
- In the request, please include the reason for requesting the loan and how long you will to need the laptop.
- OIT will confirm your eligibility status and laptop availability.
- Once, eligibility status and laptop availability is confirmed, OIT will communicate time and location for pick-up. If OIT is unable to fulfill your request, you will also receive an email.
Typical reasons for requesting a loaner laptop:
- Your normal computer is currently being repaired, or a replacement computer is not yet in place.
- Shipment of your new computer is delayed.
- You are under temporary quarantine and cannot visit campus computer labs.
Check Out Process
- Follow the confirmation instructions. Reference the OIT Help Desk Ticket number when arriving for pick-up.
- Be sure to bring your Rice ID with you.
- By picking up the loaner laptop, requestor agrees to all terms and requirements of the Participation Agreement (listed below).
Check In Process
- Refer to OIT Help Desk Ticket and contact the OIT Help Desk when ready to return the laptop.
- OIT will confirm the time and location for returning the laptop.
- Back up and remove any data saved on the loaner laptop. OIT is not responsible for any data left on the laptop.
- Report any issues while using the laptop.
- All equipment must be returned - laptop and power adapter.
- Requestor is required to return the unit prior to or at the end of the two-week loan period.
- If requestor needs to retain the loaner for a longer period of time, the request for renewal must be approved prior to the end of the two-week period. Renewal is not guaranteed.
By picking up the loaner laptop, requestor agrees to the following terms and requirements:
- I have read and agree to comply with university polices regarding data protection and information (Policy 808) and appropriate use of technology (Policy 832), as well as other applicable Rice University policies. I will use the device in accordance with applicable laws, license agreements and other restrictions, as applicable.
- I acknowledge that the laptop is only to be used by me and not a designee.
- I acknowledge that I will not attempt to repair or replace parts on the laptop.
- I agree to only install software via OIT-approved processes.
- I agree that Rice is not responsible for loss or damage to files and data while using the laptop.
- I agree that Rice is not responsible for any files and data that I save to the laptop.
- I agree that Rice is not responsible for any files and data remaining on the laptop at laptop check-in.
- I agree to immediately report any damages to the laptop or accessories.
- I will assume full responsibility and financial liability for the laptop and all accessories not returned.
- I agree to pay OIT for loss of or damage to the laptop and any peripherals issued.
- I agree to return the laptop before or on the day as agreed upon at check-out. If the laptop is not returned on time, I understand that OIT reserves the right to remotely lock the computer or charge my department for the cost of the laptop.