Getting Started with IT for Staff
The following information will assist you in "Getting Started" with Information Technology resources at Rice University.
NetID is your unique login credential (Username) for Rice resources.
When can I activate my NetID?
- New hire paperwork must be completed with Human Resources before you are eligible for activating your Rice NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your RiceID upon completion of your employment status. You will need to follow the "Activate Your NetID" process.
- Note: "Jot down" your NetID during the activation process, you will not be able to retrieve it online.
Activate Your NetID | Manage Your NetID Account
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: Using your Rice ID, you can "activate your NetID", Jot down your NetID
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password
- Forgot Password?
For more information, visit MyNetID Instructions
- Enroll in two-factor authentication - Duo Enrollment
- Authentication - Using Duo Authentication
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
- Install VPN Client
Install VPN Client Software
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, all users must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Rice Faculty and Staff Email
- Rice faculty and staff access email (known as Cyrus mail) through Rice Webmail.
- Email Setup - using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Rice faculty and staff use the Google web interface for Core apps except for Mail
- Core Apps - Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, Meet,
Step 1: OIT Support Staff will connect your primary computer to the Rice network and set it up to use Rice printers.
Note: By clicking the buttons below, you can connect your personal computer to the wireless network. Printers may vary by your department.
Step 2: Connect your mobile devices to the Rice network.
Learning Management System (LMS) : Canvas
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs. Some Rice training for staff may be presented through Canvas.
Rice LMS > Canvas
Additional Resources for Faculty and Staff
IT Status: Stay informed on IT Maintenance and Events
Learning Spaces: Classrooms and Labs
Need Technical Support?
Rice OIT Help Desk
Location: Mudd 103
Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 713-348-4357 (713-348-HELP)
Request for Help: OIT Ticket
** Walk-In Service | Student Computing Consultants
Mudd 103 | 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F
Fondren 1st Floor | 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. | After Labor Day