Getting Started with IT for Staff
The following information will assist you in "Getting Started" with Information Technology resources at Rice University.
- Academic Calendar
- New Employee Guide
NetID is your unique login credential (Username) for Rice resources.
When can I activate my NetID?
- New hire paperwork must be completed with Human Resources before you are eligible for activating your Rice NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your RiceID upon completion of your employment status. You will need to follow the "Activate Your NetID" process.
- Note: "Jot down" your NetID during the activation process, you will not be able to retrieve it online.
Activate Your NetID | Manage Your NetID Account
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: Using your Rice ID, you can "activate your NetID", Jot down your NetID
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password
- Forgot Password?
For more information, visit MyNetID Instructions
- Enroll in two-factor authentication - Duo Enrollment
- Authentication - Using Duo Authentication
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
- Install VPN Client
Install VPN Client Software
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, all users must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Rice Faculty and Staff Email
- Rice faculty and staff access email (known as Cyrus mail) through Rice Webmail.
- Email Setup - using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Rice faculty and staff use the Google web interface for Core apps except for Mail
- Core Apps - Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, Meet,
Step 1: OIT Support Staff will connect your primary computer to the Rice network and set it up to use Rice printers.
Note: By clicking the buttons below, you can connect your personal computer to the wireless network. Printers may vary by your department.
Step 2: Connect your mobile devices to the Rice network.
Learning Management System (LMS) : Canvas
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs. Some Rice training for staff may be presented through Canvas.
Rice LMS > Canvas
Additional Resources for Faculty and Staff
IT Status: Stay informed on IT Maintenance and Events
Learning Spaces: Classrooms and Labs
Need Technical Support?
Rice OIT Help Desk
Location: Mudd 103
Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 713-348-4357 (713-348-HELP)
Request for Help: OIT Ticket
** Walk-In Service | Student Computing Consultants
Mudd 103 | 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F
Fondren 1st Floor | 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. | After Labor Day