Windows 10 Self-Service Upgrade Instructions
This document explains how to perform the Windows-in place upgrade Rice-owned workstations from Windows 7 to Windows 10. These instructions applies to Windows 7 to Windows 10 64-bit systems.
Note: Do not perform this upgrade using VPN or Wireless Network
Before you begin:
- Save your work and close all applications.
- Remove/disconnect all external storage (USB flash media, SD cards, etc.)
- You must be connected to the wired network
- You must be connected to the AC power source.
- Your computer must be joined to the ADRICE domain.
- Even though data will be migrated, we strongly recommend backing up your data to external storage device, Box, Google Drive, or Crashplan before upgrading.
Step 1: The Windows 10 upgrade is launched from the software center. To open the software center, select the Start button and browse to Microsoft System Center > Configuration Manager > Software Center to open.
Step 2: Once the Software Center opens you will be presented with a list of available applications.
Step 3: On the left hand menu, select Operating Systems.
Step 4: Click on CS - Upgrade Windows 10 1803 In-Place.
Step 5: Select Install.
Step 6: Verify that you receive the following message. It should state that this is an upgrade and that your current programs and data will be migrated to Windows 10.
Step 7: Click install to begin the upgrade. This may take several hours and your computer will reboot several times throughout the process.
Step 8: When it is complete the computer will come up to a login screen.
Things you will notice following the upgrade:
- Microsoft Edge is set as the default web browser.
- Microsoft Edge is set as the default .pdf viewer.
- Desktop icons have been rearranged.
- The first time a Microsoft Office program is launched in Windows 10, the Office suite will reconfigure itself for the new operating system. This should complete automatically within a few minutes.