FIS Quick Start Guide
For faculty annual reports
| Rice’s Faculty Information System (FIS) is an internal university system. It can only be accessed from off campus via VPN (Virtual Private Network). For more info about installing VPN, click here.
- The image below shows the faculty dashboard, which appears after you have logged in (Figure 1). The most important sections for your annual report are:
- My Data. Here is where you will enter any new activities for the reporting year. More about this later.
- My CV and Documents. Here you will attach your updated CV.
- Reports. To preview your annual report, go here.
- Log Out.
|ROLES: If you have more than one role, such as a department chair, dean, or department administrator, when you log in, you will be directed to a screen in which you will select the role in which you need to work for this session. To choose a different role, click "Home" on the left side of the dark blue ribbon.
- My Data. Each of the 6 major categories in the left navigation menu unfolds to display subcategories:
- General Information:
- Personal Information (name, title, contact info, photo, ORCID number, department affiliations)
- Major Accomplishments (list what you consider your major accomplishments for the year)
- Biographical Information (biographical statement, degrees, professional experience)
- Websites (links to your faculty profile page, lab website, etc.)
- Office Info (campus office location, phone)
- Other Notes
- Scholarship & Creative Works:
- List Upload (tool for uploading publications from Google Scholar)
- Edit Grid (insert, edit or remove publication records from this list view)
- Publications (detailed list view with drill down into detailed input screens)
- Editorial Positions (any kind of editorial role with a journal, book series, etc.)
- Creative Works (Architecture, Humanities and Music only)
- Presentations (includes all kinds of conference-related activity, as well as invited lectures, etc.)
- Research Areas & Statements (now includes an option to make your research areas searchable in undergrad research database)
- Projects, Grants & Fellowships (sponsored research--funded and submitted proposals--and other kinds of funding; sponsored research already imported from Cayuse/Banner, but you can still add any missing)
- Works in Progress
- Patents and Copyrighted Software (Engineering, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences only)
- Honors & Awards:
- Awards, Prizes & Fellowships
- Positions Held (such as honorary positions in a professional organization; editorial positions go under Scholarship)
- Residencies & Summer Festivals (Architecture, Humanities and Music only)
- Juries & Master Classes (Architecture, Humanities and Music only)
- Courses Taught (already imported from Banner)
- Student Research & Advising (includes advising and research or project supervision for undergrads, grads, postdocs and others; service on thesis committees; most graduate advisees already imported from Banner)
- Student Awards
- Service & Leadership:
- S&L: Departmental (mostly serving on various department committees)
- S&L: School/University (school or university level committees, college magister, sponsor of student organization, etc.)
- S&L: Outside Rice (service to the profession, such as review duties, external board or professional committee; Houston engagement and outreach; media appearances; outside relationships like consulting, startup companies)
Information to Include on Annual Report:
- General Information:
- Personal Information: Name, title, research and/or teaching areas, email, department affiliations (i.e., joint appointments), photo
- Major Accomplishments
- Any other scholarly outputs, funding, honors, teaching, advising, and service/leadership activities you have to report for the year.
- CV attached in the "My CV and Documents" section under Actions
- Note: The reporting year is the calendar year just ended or about to end.
Adding New Records:
- In most screens, new records are added by navigating to one of the sub-items in the left menu and clicking on the blue "Add" button next to the category name near the top of the screen (Figure 2).
- This takes you to the input screen (Figure 3).
- Required fields are marked with red asterisks.
- Note that to the right are instructions for that category, which sometimes lead to more instructions on a separate page.
- IMPORTANT: When you're done with that record, be sure to hit "Save" before you exit or navigate away. The system will not prompt you to save your work.
|Google Scholar Upload: A new feature is the ability to upload publications from Google Scholar into the FIS. For more information, see this guide.
Finding and Updating Existing Records:
The FIS includes two kinds of already existing information:
- Information already imported from Banner for this reporting year:
- Sponsored research awards and proposals
- Courses taught
- Grad students advised
- Records entered by you or your proxies for past annual reports in the FIS.
- You may view previous years' records by changing the "Show from" and "To" years and hitting "Go." Or hit "Show All." (Figure 4)
- In many cases, such existing records can be updated and re-used for this reporting year by using the Update section at the bottom of those records (Figure 5).
- However, at this time you are asked to concentrate just on the current reporting year and not be concerned with past years. As decisions are made about uses and tools for the faculty information system going forward, then any necessary projects related to the integrity of historical records will be undertaken.
Completing Your Annual Report:
- Annual reports are due on January 31, unless your school dean has set an earlier deadline.
- Enter all your outputs and activities for the reporting year, hitting "Save" before leaving each record.
- Review any information already loaded for you. You may add any missing records. If you find any errors, you may edit the record or add comments.
- Attach an updated CV.
- You may wish to review your annual report (see next section) before submitting.
- When ready to submit, from your home page (after login), hit the "My Report is Complete!" button. If you need to make a change later, a button to move the report back to edit mode will be available.
Reviewing Your Annual Report:
- Click "Reports" in dark blue ribbon, then select Annual Report (Figure 6).
- You may export it in MS Word format by hitting the Word icon on the right in the medium blue ribbon (Figure 7).
| Visibility: Please note that the public-facing Scholarly Interest Report (SIR) is not being used, nor is the current FIS being used to feed department websites. It is entirely internal, and not visible to anyone without specific viewing rights within the system.