Thunderbird - Changing the Stored Password
This document describes how to remove the stored password from Thunderbird and enter a new one. Follow these steps if you have recently changed or reset your password. You will need to modify te stored password in Thunderbird and save your new email account passwords.
- On a Windows machine, go to Tools, then Options.
- If using a Mac, click on the Thunderbird menu and select Preferences...
- If using Linux, click on Edit and select Preferences...
Click the Security button, and go to the Passwords tab. Click Saved Passwords....
Click Show Passwords. You may be prompted for the master password.
A box will appear that says Are you sure you wish to show your passwords? Press Yes.
If you have opted to save both your incoming (imap://) and outgoing (smtp://) mail server passwords in Thunderbird, you will see them listed separately even though they are technically the same password, as shown below. To change a stored password, highlight it and press Remove.
- Note: If you are removing saved passwords because you have changed your NetID account password, you will need to delete both in order to send and receive mail.
Close all windows and quit Thunderbird.
Thunderbird will attempt to check the incoming server for new mail, at which point it will prompt you for a new password (provided you deleted the incoming server password). Enter the new password and check Use Password Manager to remember this password. Press OK.
If you deleted your outgoing server password, you will be prompted to re-enter your password the first time you try to send a message from your account.
Rice Email Settings |
- Incoming and Outgoing Mail server information
- Click the drop down menu and select IMAP
- Enter imap.mail.rice.edu for the Incoming Hostname server
- Enter smtp.mail.rice.edu for the Outgoing Hostname server
- Under SSL, select SSL/TLS both Incoming and Outgoing. The port will automatically change to 993 (Incoming) and 465 (Outgoing)
- Under Authentication, select Normal Password for both Incoming and Outgoing
- Make sure your Netid is entered for the Username field in Incoming and Outgoing