Canvas: Mailing List for Class
How to send a direct email to a class
Canvas provides a conversations tool which has many very practical features for communicating with students. This tool provides easy access to search for communications, what we think of as emails, with classes, sections, or individual students. Read more about Canvas Conversations at conversations.
If you prefer, Rice OIT will create a unique mailing list for each section of each course that is taught. The mailing list will allow you to correspond with your class. The correspondence will be archived for faculty use.
If you would like assistance with your course mailing list, please email email@example.com
This year the mailing lists will be named directly after the section name. If the section is moved to another course site, the mailing list name doesn’t need to change. Each section of the course will have its own email list. The mailing list name will begin with the corresponding course subject code and the specific section number. Your section number can be found on your roster. These two combined will make up your mailing list name
The format for the mailing list is: CourseSiteID-SectionNum-Semester
Example 1: CourseSiteID[COMP-140-F16]-SectionNum would be COMP 140 section 003 Fall 2016
To send email, you would send to: COMP-140-F16firstname.lastname@example.org
Example 2: CourseSiteID[CHEM-123-F16]-SectionNum[0F4] would be CHEM 123 section 0F4 Fall 2016
To send email, you would send to: CHEM-123-F16-0F4@mailman.rice.edu
Example 3: CourseSiteID[CAAM-553-001-F16]-SectionNum would be CAAM 553 section 001 Fall 2016
To send email, you would send to CAAM-553-001-F16email@example.com
The defaults for the mailing list are:
- The faculty of record for the course will be the only one(s) who can post to the list.
- If you would like your TAs to post, you will need to add them or any other person you want to be able to post via the instructions below. If you email firstname.lastname@example.org with your TA names and NetIDs, we can add them for you.
- Students will not be able to post to the list. Their posts will be rejected and they will be told to contact their instructor. (If you wish to change that, please send email to email@example.com). We recommend you use the built in features of Canvas if you wish to have a class discussion.
- Students are automatically added or dropped per the Registrar. Adds or drops will be updated daily.
- If you would like to access the archive, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Instructions for accessing archived email are here.