Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Account Management
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Network
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Printing
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Security
Getting Started In IT
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will assist you in "Getting Started" with IT resources.
The NetID is your unique login credential. The NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your NetID and Rice ID upon completion of your acceptance or employment status.
NetID is a short username, typically your initials followed by a number, like "abc1".
Rice Student ID is an "S" followed by 8 digits, such as "S01234567"
Rice Employee ID is an "E" followed by 8 digits, such as "E01234567"
When can I activate my NetID?
- Undergraduate Student: upon completion of your acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you will then be eligible to activate your Rice NetID. For more information: First Year Program New Student Checklist.
- Graduate Student: upon completion of acceptance process and you receive your graduate department acceptance notification with your NetID information, you can then activate your NetID.
- Faculty and Staff: new hire paperwork must be completed by Human Resources before you are eligible for activating your Rice NetID
Activate Your NetID | Manage Your NetID Account
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, Change Password, Set your Google Apps password, Create Email Alias, Select Primary Email Alias, VPN Access.
- Activate Your NetID: Activate your account. During the activation process, jot down your NetID.
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password | Forgot Password?
- NetID Automatic Account Lockout: if you change your password, change your password in common places to prevent account lockout
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, all users must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Acceptable Use Policy.
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice.
If you are caught downloading illegal content on any of our networks, including Rice Visitor, your network access will be suspended and you will be fined $150.
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, and viruses.
G Suite for Education
- Rice Undergraduate and new Graduate students use core G Suite Applications for email, Google calendar, drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, YouTube, etc. **Current Graduate students will continue to use Rice Webmail.
- Rice faculty and staff currently do not use G Suite Applications for Rice email - Only the following core G Suite Applications are available for faculty and staff: Google calendar, drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, YouTube, etc. etc. Rice faculty and staff access email through Rice Webmail.
- Rice faculty and staff: setup your G Suite (Google Apps) password ( strongly recommend this password is different from your NetID password) using the Online Management Account System: mynetid.rice.edu
To learn how to use your Google account, click the link below:
Step 1. Connect your computer to the Rice network and set it up to use the Rice printers.
Step 2. Connect your Devices such as game consoles and mobile devices to the Rice network.
Many of you will have arrived at Rice with a variety of devices and consoles that make use of the internet for advanced functionality. We can only setup these devices on the wired network at this time. The following is a list of devices for which there is a setup guide:
Connecting Your Game Console Guide
Connecting Your Smart Phone and Mobile Devices.
Step 3. Connecting Learning Management System: Canvas
Canvas is the Rice Learning Management System. Many of your classes will use one of these systems to distribute and return assignments as well as send class announcemnts. Click on the image below to take a look at our quick user guide.
MyNetID.rice.edu | Account Management Instructions
Software Available for Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students
Software Available for Students
Laptop Purchase Guidelines for Students | Information provided by OIT Student Computing Consultants
Need Technical Support?
Rice OIT Help Desk
Location: Mudd Building Room 103**
Hours: Monday to Friday | 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. [Summer Hours: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.]
Phone: 713-348-4357 (713-348-HELP)
Request for Help: IT Support Services | Open a request for service ticket
** Walk-In OIT Services | Mudd 103: SCCs (Student Computer Consultants) can help with technical issues including - connectivity to the network; printing; virus and malware removal; and diagnose hardware & software problems.