Connect a Windows Vista Computer to Rice Owls
Instructions to help connect a computer to Rice Owls
Connect a Windows Vista Computer to Rice Owls*
There are several parts to the manual installation. First, you need to add Rice Owls as a network. Then you will need to specially configure the security properties of the Rice Owls network.
If you feel the least bit uncomfortable with these instructions, do not continue. Please contact Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or xHELP (x4357) for assistance.
*Microsoft no longer supports Windows Vista. Security patches are no longer made available by Microsoft for Vista. Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support
Adding Rice Owls
- Click on the Start icon in the lower left hand corner and then click on Network as shown below.
- Click Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage Wireless Networks
- Click Add
- Click Manually connect to a wireless network.
- Enter in the following information:
- In the Network Name: field, enter Rice Owls.
- In the Security Type: field, select WPA2-Enterprise.
- In the Encryption Type: field, select AES.
- Check Start this connection automatically.
Then click Next
- Click Change connection settings.
- Select the Security tab in the dialog box that appears.
- Ensure that Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP) is chosen for the network authentication method and then click Settings...
- Uncheck the box with Validate Server Certificate, and click the Configure... button next to Secured password (EAP-MSCHAPv2)
- Uncheck the Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any) box
- Click OK to exit back to the Change Connection Settings windows. You should see a box pop up in the lower right hand corner which reads that Additional information is required to connect to Rice Owls, click on this notification balloon.
- Enter your NetID and Password in the boxes while leaving Domain blank then click OK.
- After about a minute, you should be fully connected to the Rice Owls network.
If you have any problems contact Helpdesk at email@example.com or xHELP (x4357)