Migrate Data to OneDrive
Instructions are below for migrating data to current OIT supported cloud services.
Using OneDrive in the web browser
- Log into OneDrive in the browser using NetID@rice.edu and password
- Create a folder in OneDrive
- Drag and drop the selection of files to the desired folder within OneDrive or upload via the web browser.
- For additional help and options, view What is OneDrive for work or school?
Using OneDrive desktop application for Windows
- For all OIT managed PCs, the OneDrive desktop application should already be installed. Select start, type OneDrive, and select the OneDrive application. If this option is not available, you will need to install the OneDrive desktop application.
- Log into OneDrive using your NetID@rice.edu and password
- Drag and drop the selection of files to the desired folder within OneDrive or view the File Explorer upload option for Windows
- For additional help and options, view Sync files for OneDrive for Windows
Using the SharePoint Migration Tool
- In order to use this tool you must be connected to the Rice network, either on-site, or via VPN, with your U: drive mapped and connected
- Install the OneDrive desktop application
- Log into the OneDrive application using your NetID@rice.edu and password
- Create a destination folder within OneDrive and give it an appropriate name (such as UDrive)
- Check your OneDrive application to ensure that you have the Files On-Demand box checked. This will prevent you from filling up your local hard drive.
- To find this feature in Windows, right click on the blue cloud in the lower right-hand corner, select Settings and select the Settings tab. To do this on a Mac, follow these directions
- Download the SharePoint Migration Tool and install the program
- Once the application is installed, login with your NetID@rice.edu and password
- Select Start new migration
- Select File Share (my content is on my local computer or on a network file share)
- Under Select a source, click on the button that says Choose folder
- Select the dropdown arrow under This PC and select U:
- Make sure the radial button for Migrate selected folder and folder contents is selected
- Select OneDrive as the location to where you are moving data
- <<<PLACEHOLDER FOR IMAGE 1>>>
- Under the Select OneDrive Destination makes sure it has your NetID@rice.edu in the User Email Address or OneDrive URL box
- You will see the Documents under Select the location you want to migrate to
- Click the down arrow on the right hand side and select the folder you created in Step 4
- Review the Source and Destination and confirm both are correct
- <<<PLACEHOLDER FOR IMAGE 2>>>
- Select the Migrate button
- Once the migration process is complete, login to OneDrive and confirm that your files have moved over successfully
Using OneDrive desktop application for Mac
IMPORTANT: Once your migration is complete (regardless of the method), please delete all legacy data from your old U: drive and notify OIT using the Help Request Form. In the "I need to..." drop-down menu, select "report that my U: drive is now empty". Failure to do so could result in your data being overwritten later.