Topics Map > •Email, Collaboration & Storage > -Google Workspace for Education
Check Gmail through other email clients
Setup IMAP to read Gmail messages in other mail clients, like Microsoft Outlook and Apple Mail.
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an Internet standard protocol used by email clients to retrieve email messages from a mail server over a TCP/IP connection. With proper setup on your Gmail account for using IMAP, you can use other mail clients like MS Outlook and Apple Mail, to read Gmail messages.
- Step 1 - Check that IMAP is turned on.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the "IMAP access" section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
- Step 2 - Change SMTP and other settings in your email client.
- Use the table below to update your client with the correct information. For help updating your settings, search your email client's Help Center for instructions on setting up IMAP.
Read more about checking Gmail through other email platforms from Google.