Outlook Setup for Windows
This article is about setting up email on a Windows device using Microsoft Outlook.
Step 1: Go to the Start menu. Under the Applications option, select Windows System > Control Panel.
Step 2: In the Control Panel menu next to View by: adjust the setting from Category to Large icons.
Step 3: Select Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016).
Step 4: Select Show Profiles.
Step 5: From the Mail window in the General tab, select Add.
Step 6: Create your new email profile and click OK.
Step 7: Choose Manual setup or additional server type then select the POP or IMAI account type.
Step 8: After selecting the Account Type, enter the requested information in the fields provided.
- Email Address: NetID@rice.edu
- Account Type: select the IMAP option from the drop-down menu
- Incoming mail server: imap.mail.rice.edu
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.mail.rice.edu
- User Name: NetID
- Password: NetID Password (make sure Remember Password is checked and the Secure Password Authenication (SPA) is unchecked)
Step 9: Select More Settings.
Step 10: Under the Internet Email Settings, select Outgoing server tab and then check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
Step 11: Go to the Advanced Tab under the Internet Email Settings and make sure the following information is entered. For both server settings make sure to use the following type of encrypted connection:
Server Port Numbers
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 465
Select OK > Next > Close.
You are all set! Your Rice email account has been setup within Outlook.