Microsoft Outlook (Configuration for Organization or Rice Mail account)
This document describes how to setup Microsoft Outlook to add your Organization to your Inbox. You will need a Rice Organization account, a Microsoft Outlook application, and an internet connection.
Step 1: Launch Microsoft Outlook.
Step 2: Select File tab.
- Your Name: enter your name
- Email Address: enter your Rice email address
- Account Type drop-down menu: select IMAP
- Incoming mail server: enter imap.mail.rice.edu
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): enter smtp.mail.rice.edu
- User Name: enter your NetID
- Password: enter your NetID password
- Make sure Remember Password is checked.
- Make sure Require login using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is unchecked.
Step 9: Select More Settings.
Step 10: Under the Internet Email Settings window, select the General tab and enter the following information:
- Mail Account Name: enter your choice of name
- Organization: enter your organization
- Reply Email: enter your organization email address
Step 11: Click the Outgoing Server tab:
- Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
Step 12: Click the Advanced tab and enter the following information:
- For both server settings, under the Use the following type of encrypted connection drop-down menu, select SSL.
- Incoming server (IMAP): enter 993
- Outgoing server (SMTP): enter 465
- Click OK.
- The Settings window will close, click Next to proceed.
Step 13: Click Close when the test is complete.
Step 14: Your account has been added and click Finish.