Connect Gaming Consoles to the Wired Network (Manual Configuration)
All Internet-capable devices must be registered on the Rice network. If you have a device (laptop, computer) that cannot go through the registration process, like a gaming system, Voice-over-IP (VoIP) system or media streaming device, it can be manually registered following the directions below.
The following information is for connecting Gaming Devices to the network manually. Do not use computers (desktop or laptop).
To register your wired network device, please follow the link and answer the questions provided. Then, restart your device.
- Machine Registration for RiceNet 3 Game Registration Portal
CAUTION: At this time, we can only register wired devices, not wireless.
Finding the MAC Address
How to play through the Rice network
In order to be able to use your internet-capable gaming console on the Rice network, you will have to register it with IT. We will need to know the MAC address for the system you wish to use. Listed below are the instructions for finding this address on common gaming systems.
MAC Identification for Common Gaming Systems
- Load the Network Start-up CD in your PS2.
- Make sure you have the network cable disconnected.
- Walk through the Start-Up CD until it starts testing your connection. Since we disconnected the network cable, the test will fail.
- You can now press the select button which will display the MAC.
- Turn on the PlayStation 3 with no disc in the drive.
- Select "Settings."
- Select "Network Settings."
- Select the first option called "Settings and Connection Status List."
- The MAC address will be listed under "MAC Address."
- Turn on the PlayStation 4 with no disc in the drive.
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Network"
- Select "View Connection Status"
- The MAC address will be listed under "MAC Address (LAN Cable)"
- Turn on your Xbox console with no game disc in the disc tray.
- From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Xbox Live.
- From the Connect Status screen, select Settings.
- The MAC address is the 12-digit number at the bottom-right corner of the Network Settings screen.
- Go to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard and select Network Settings.
- Select Edit Settings.
- From Additional Settings, select Advanced Settings.
- At the bottom of this screen you'll see a heading called Wired MAC Address.
- Click on the Wii button in the bottom left of the main channel screen
- Click on Wii Settings
- Go to "Internet" on page 2
- Click on "Console Information"
- Register the Wii LAN Adapter MAC Address
Voice over IP Systems
How to talk over the Rice network
In order to be able to use your voice-over ip (VoIP) phone on the Rice network, you will have to register it with IT. We will need to know the MAC address for the system you wish to use. Listed below are the instructions for finding this address on commonly used devices.
- The address is located on the outside of the V-Phone's packaging.
- The WAN MAC address is also the name of the drive that appears when you insert the V-Phone into your PC's USB port.
- Open My Computer and look for the drive with the Vonage icon.
- The WAN MAC address is the name of that drive.
Other Vonage phone adapters
- Remove the phone adapter from its packaging.
- Turn the device over.
- On the bottom of the device, you will find the WAN MAC Address.
Media Streaming Systems
How to watch over the Rice network
In order to be able to use your media streaming device on the Rice network, you will have to register it with IT. We will need to know the MAC address for the system you wish to use. Listed below are the instructions for finding this address on commonly used devices.
- From the Home screen, press Up to make the Menu Bar appear.
- Select Settings.
- Select Player Info.
- The MAC Address will be listed on the screen. It's also listed on the back of the box itself.
To retrieve the MAC Address from a Roku 3 from the "Secret Menu":
Roku optional menus
Warning: Under normal conditions, you should never need to make any changes to the settings in these menus, unless instructed by Roku. Some options within these menus may cause your Roku player to lose functionality.
Instructions to enable
Press the following sequence of keys:
- Ensure your Apple TV has an Ethernet cable already plugged into the wall.
- From the home screen, select Settings.
- Select General.
- Select either About or Network.
- The MAC Address will be listed as the Ethernet address. (Note: if you don't have an Ethernet cable plugged in, you will get a WiFi address, which may be different from the Ethernet address.)