CYBERSECURITY AWARENESS: Safe Travel Tips
Posted: 13:00:43, Monday, Nov 21, 2022 Expiration: 13:00:43, Thursday, Jan 5, 2023
Traveling over the holidays? Follow these precautions from the Rice Information Security Office to protect your data and Rice resources.
Reposting of campus message on 11/18/2022
As we approach another holiday season and many of us prepare to travel, the Information Security Office would like to remind everyone of a few important points:
- Technology is highly targeted by thieves, especially in travel areas around the holidays. Leave all unnecessary devices or equipment at home or in a locked office.
- Devices like laptops and tablets are often lost during busy security screening lines and in crowded terminals. Make sure devices are encrypted and use strong passwords in case the device is lost or stolen.
- To prevent the loss of information if a device is lost or stolen, remove sensitive or confidential information from your devices before traveling. You can safely store data on university servers or approved cloud storage systems like Box.com for later access.
- Use VPN when connecting to unknown or unfamiliar networks. Also, even if prompted when connecting to unfamiliar networks, do not install agents or helper applications, as these are often designed to eavesdrop on connections, even over VPN.
Traveling internationally? Follow these additional steps to further protect your devices and the information they contain:
- Plan ahead! Research the international requirements for each country you plan to visit. The State Department has travel safety information for every country on their website. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cybersecurity-tips-international-travelers
- Some countries have restrictions on encrypted devices. Familiarize yourself with your destination’s laws about technology and check especially for encryption import restrictions.
- Be aware of potential export restrictions when traveling internationally. https://research.rice.edu/compliance/export-control/international-travel
Chief Information Security Officer
-- Rice U: Liz Brigman
Created: 07:02:42, Monday, Nov 21, 2022 (by Liz B.)
Updated: 13:03:54, Monday, Nov 21, 2022 (by Liz B.)