Reminder: Migration to Windows 10 Operating system
Posted: 14:04:58, Tuesday, May 7, 2019 Expiration: 14:04:58, Friday, May 31, 2019
Just a reminder, Microsoft announced the end of support and security updates for computers running Windows 7 operating system after January 14, 2020. This presents a potential burden of risk to Rice’s computing environment. If you have plans to be away for an extended period of time this summer, consider upgrading your computer system to Windows 10 before your departure.
As a result, all Rice faculty or staff members with Rice-owned computer(s) running Windows 7 will need to be upgraded to Windows 10. We need your assistance to complete the upgrade of your system(s) to Windows 10 by December 2019.
The Office of Information Technology provides Rice University users the ability to upgrade their Rice-owned Windows 7 computer(s) to Windows 10. In order to take advantage of this self-service upgrade:
· Your computer must be a member of Rice’s Active Directory (ADRICE).
· If your PC is not on ADRICE, OIT can schedule a time to facilitate this process and kick-start your Windows 10 upgrade.
For more on Windows 10 Migration, refer to the following Rice KB articles:
- Windows 7 to 10 General Information Sheet: https://kb.rice.edu/page.php?id=90265
- Windows 10 Self-service Upgrade Instructions: https://kb.rice.edu/page.php?id=90088
- Windows 7 to Windows 10 FAQ: https://kb.rice.edu/page.php?id=90025
To ensure the security and integrity of computer systems running at Rice, any computing device running unsupported operating systems or configured in an insecure manner are subject to restrictions when connecting to the Rice network.
Please note: Jones Graduate School of Business faculty and staff should contact the Office of Technology at 713-348-8319, or email: email@example.com.
If you need assistance, please contact the Office of Information Technology Help Desk at 713-348-4357 or submit a request by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Rice U: Diane Yee
Created: 09:10:59, Tuesday, May 7, 2019 (by Diane Y.)
Updated: 14:11:52, Tuesday, May 7, 2019 (by Diane Y.)