Topics Map > •Teaching & Learning > -Kaltura
Kaltura: Enable 3rd-Party Cookies
You may see the following error while trying to access Kaltura via your Canvas course site:
"Your browser is blocking third-party cookies which are required to view and manage videos in Kaltura..."
You need to enable third-party cookies to use Kaltura. This is because Kaltura needs to communicate with Canvas to verify who you are and where you want to store your videos. There are instructions below to enable third-party cookies just for a specific site if you want to enable them just for Kaltura.
- Open "Preferences" from the Safari menu.
- With "Preferences" open, click the “Privacy” tab. Follow either of the two steps below, depending on your version of Safari.
- Under “Cookies and website data” click “Always Allow.” At the bottom of the Privacy tab, make sure that Safari’s "Do Not Track" feature is unchecked.
- Make sure that "Prevent cross-site tracking" and “Block all cookies” are both unchecked.
- Return to the home screen by pressing the round button underneath the screen. Then, find the "Settings" icon and tap on it.
- Scroll down and tap on the "Safari" item.
- Make sure that both "Prevent cross-site tracking" and “Block all cookies” are unchecked.
- Please note! You will need to restart Safari before the settings take full effect.
- Click or tap on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button from the top-right corner of the window. It looks like three dots arranged vertically. In the menu that opens, go to "Settings."
- Scroll down and click "Advanced" at the bottom of the window.
- Scroll down to "Privacy and security," and click "Site Settings."
- In the "Permissions" section, click on "Cookies and site data."
- Set the "Block third-party cookies" switch to "off"; make sure the circle is on the left and the bar is gray.
- In the Edge address bar, type, edge://settings/privacy
- Then click on "Exceptions."
- Click "Add a site" and add "canvas.rice.edu", and then click the "Add" button.
- Refresh your browser page that included the video.