Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Teaching and Learning > Kaltura
This document is designed to give you a high-level look at Kaltura video platform at Rice.
What is Kaltura?
Kaltura is Rice University’s solution for storing and delivering asynchronous digital media, including recorded video and audio. With Kaltura, it’s easy to upload, capture, edit, and share videos and other multimedia with your students and colleagues.
Other information you should know:
- Kaltura is not a video storage or archive system. Videos in Kaltura will be deleted after 2 years of non-use. We recommend you keep original copies of the videos you own.
- When a course is copied from one semester to the next, the Media Gallery is not copied over automatically with the rest of the content. The instructor must copy the Media Gallery separately. Instructions for copying the Media Gallery to a new course can be found in the article Kaltura: Importing Videos From A Previous Canvas Course.
- Learn about the regulations governing the usage of the Kaltura Media System for Rice University at Content and Usage Guidelines for Kaltura.
How You Can Use Kaltura
Use Kaltura to deliver content in your online courses
- Improve instructor presence by posting video greetings and video feedback for your students.
- Provide course guidance by posting course tours, syllabus tours, or demonstrate complex ideas.
- Record your webcam and screen to create full lectures.
Use Kaltura to supplement your face-to-face courses
- Flip your class by posting lectures in Canvas to maximize classroom time.
- Design video-based assignments to improve flexibility.
How to Access Kaltura
Currently, Kaltura is available in Canvas, where there are two main areas:
- My Media - Upload, create, and manage video and multimedia here.
- Media Gallery - Publish video and multimedia for the course here.
For more information, see our document about My Media and Media Gallery.
What are the other benefits of using Kaltura?
- Full Canvas integration makes it easy to…
- Embed videos in any area with a rich content editor
- Synchronize video-based assignments with your Grade Book
- Publish videos and multimedia to a single course, or multiple courses at once
- Robust security, privacy, and compliance
- Compile playlists to guide learning.
- Automatic Machine captioning and caption editing to improve access and universal design.
- Desktop video Capture to create course updates and integrate new video on the fly.
- Simple editing options to keep what you want, and cut what you don’t.
- Interactive Video quizzing to improve student engagement.