Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Account Management > Email Account
Apple Mail Setup (OS X 10.9 - 10.11)
First Time Setup
Instructions for setting up Apple Mail on OS X 10.9 to 10.11
1. Open Apple Mail. The Apple Mail icon should be located in the Dock or can be found in Finder > Applications.
2. A window will popup with several options for email clients. Choose "Add Other Mail Account...".
3. In the next window, Apple Mail will ask for more information.
- Enter your Rice email address (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) in the Email Address field.
- Enter your Netid (abc1) in the User Name field.
- Enter your Netid password in the Password field. (Note: The window will expand after entering your netid password)
- Select IMAP for the Account Type.
- Enter imap.mail.rice.edu for Incoming Mail Server
- Enter smtp.mail.rice.edu for Outgoing Mail Server
Click Sign In
4. Click Done.
5. The account window will popup. Click the Accounts tab. Click Advanced button to update the IMAP port number. Change the Port to 993.
6. To edit the SMTP port number, click the drop down menu arrow for Outgoing Mail Server. Select Edit SMTP Server List...Be sure to select the Rice SMTP server. Click Advanced button. Change the Port to 465. Click OK.