ARCHIVE: Zoom Video Conferencing - "Host" or "Join a Meeting"
Zoom unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, group messaging, and a software-defined conference room solution into one easy-to-use platform. This solution offers audio, video, and screen-sharing experience across Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Blackberry platforms.
info in 84808 now
Please keep your Zoom software updated for the latest security fixes.
- To "host or schedule" a Zoom meeting, open the browser to: https://riceuniversity.zoom.us/ or click Login.
- To "Join a Meeting", if you have the Meeting ID or Personal Link Name, click Join a Meeting or click the meeting invitation link
Hosting a Meeting
Note: all Rice faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduates now have License Accounts (formerly called Pro Accounts) with no time limitations. Individuals were emailed invitations.
If additional assistance is needed, please contact the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-348-4357).
Prior to spring 2020 and the conversion to Rice online teaching, there had been limitations on who received Zoom License accounts as opposed to Basic accounts.
This information is for historical reference only.
- Basic Account:
- If you are hosting a Zoom meeting with 1 meeting host and multiple participants, the meeting time limit is 40 minutes.
- If you are hosting a Zoom meeting between only 2 people, the meeting time is unlimited.
- License Account (formerly called Pro Account): ** If you are hosting a meeting with multiple participants that will last longer than 40 minutes, you need a Zoom License account. If you are invited to "join a meeting," a Basic Account will be sufficient. (See Basic Account vs. License Account information below.)
Basic Account vs. License Account
|Account type||Basic Account||License Account|
|Meeting Duration||Meetings with 1 host and multiple participants are limited to a 40-minute session
Meetings between only 2 people have an unlimited duration
|How do I obtain it?||Free | Login: https://riceuniversity.zoom.us/||Open a Help Desk ticket to request Pro Account|
|Video Conferencing features||Yes||Yes|
|Web Conferencing features||Yes||Yes|
|Group Collaboration features||Yes||Yes|