Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Applications and Software > Edgar Web App
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Applications and Software > Banner
Administrative Systems: Banner, Esther, Edgar
The account used to login to the following applications are unique to those systems.
These accounts are on Rice systems which do not require or relate to your NetID and password.
- Banner: Banner is an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system from Ellucian, a global higher education software and services company. Rice uses the Banner system to manage the university's financial, human resource, payroll, student, and sponsored research activities, operations, and information. Access to Banner is gained through departmental approval and a completed Banner security agreement.
- Edgar: Edgar is a system where employees can interact with Banner. In addition, Edgar houses a set of data stores that provide authorized users with access to Banner's financial, student, human resources and related administrative information.
- To login to Edgar Web Applications:
- You must be on a Rice network (have a Rice IP address) which means that you must be on Rice campus OR be logged in through VPN. You will be required to use Duo authentication.
- For security reasons, your Edgar password will expire every 90 days.
- Esther: Self-service system to access your Rice data as a faculty, staff, or student.
- Students use this to access their academic records, course schedules, register for classes, pay bills, complete and review course and instructor evaluations, view financial aid, and more.
- Faculty and Staff use Esther to access and complete benefit information, review and update address information, pay bills, review pay records, and more.
- Esther accounts are created when a student, faculty or staff joins the university.
- To login to Esther, you will need to know your NetID and NetID password.
- If you are no longer a current student, you need to contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.
- If you are no longer an employee or do not have a NetID, you will need to contact Human Resources.
- To protect your privacy, please exit and close your browser when you are finished accessing Esther.
Duo Mobile Authentication
Duo Mobile is a two-factor authentication service that can be utilized for systems that require an additional layer of security such as Esther, VPN and NetID login.
Getting Started with Duo
All about Duo: Learn all you can do with Duo including managing and enrolling devices as well like using the authentication service while traveling.
Install VPN Client Software
Rice University uses the Duo Authentication service in order to protect VPN access to Rice systems. The following are the installation links for the AnyConnect VPN Client. Campus login is required for all of these softwares.
More information: Administrative Applications