Access Points for Colleges
Access points have been installed in the Colleges except for Duncan, McMurtry, and Sid Richardson.
During summer 2020, OIT networking team installed the Cisco 1815 access points in the following student residence rooms for the following Colleges:
- Baker College
- Will /Rice College
- Hanszen College
- Wiess College
- Jones College
- Brown College
- Lovett College
- Martel College
Installation for the following Colleges is scheduled for Winter Break 2020:
- Sid Richardson Colleges
How to use the access point
- Connect up to three devices directly to visitor wired network using an ethernet cable.
- If you need to connect to *Rice Owls using wired network, you must connect to Rice Owls using Rice VPN.
- Do not use the gray "Pass Thru" port.
- Connect to Rice Owls SSID requires login with your NetID credentials.
- Connect to Eduroam SSID requires login with your NetID@rice.edu and NetID password
- Connect to Visitor.
Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues
Connecting to Rice Network
* Rice Owls Wireless - Only 5GHz devices can connect to Rice Owls wireless on the Cisco 1815 Access Points
* Eduroam - 5GHz and 2.4 GHz devices can connect to Rice Owls. [Login requires: NetID@rice.edu and NetID password]
Before reporting, check the LED light on your Cisco AP, report light color or if there is no light.
- Blinking Amber
- Cycling through Green, Red, Amber
- Rapidly cycling through Red, Green, Amber, and Off
- Connect to the Eduroam wireless network
- Two-factor Authentication (Duo) and VPN
- AnyConnect VPN for Ubuntu Linux using Duo Authentication
- AnyConnect VPN for Android using Duo Authentication
- AnyConnect VPN for Red Hat Linux using Duo Authentication
- AnyConnect VPN for iPhone and iPad using Duo Authentication
- AnyConnect VPN for Mac OS X using Duo Authentication
- AnyConnect VPN for Windows using Duo Authentication