Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Mobile Devices
Topics Map > Do-IT Yourself > Classrooms and Labs
Cleaning Computers and Electronics
General guidance on how to clean computers, computer accessories and other high-touch electronics.
|Important: Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations on how to properly clean and disinfect items.|
Shared computers, accessories and electronics should be frequently cleaned and disinfected to slow the spread of disease, such as COVID-19. See the CDC's web site on Cleaning & Disinfecting Schools.
General Cleaning Guidelines
- Unplug all external power sources and cables.
- Ensure moisture does not get into any openings.
- Use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping.
- Do not spray cleaner directly on an item.
- Do not submerge item in cleanser.
- Do not use aerosol sprays, bleach or abrasive cleaners.
Specific Manufacturer's Recommendations:
- Apple: How to Clean your Apple Products
- Dell: Guidance for Keeping Your Dell Technologies Equipment Clean
- Microsoft: Clean and Care for your Surface
- Android: How to properly clean and disinfect your smartphone