Faculty and Staff Google for Education
This document goes through the process of setting up your Google Mail password through your NetID account and gives a summary of core and consumer apps of the G Suite.
**** Getting Started w Faculty and Staff should be linked to this doc
All Rice faculty and staff have Google for Education with the exception of Mail application*. During the process of activating your NetID, you should setup your Google Apps password. Once you receive your Rice ID number, you can set up your Rice email account. Official communication from the university will be sent directly to this account so be sure to check your email regularly.
Activate Your NetID
Reset/Recover Your Password
G Suite for Education (formerly known as Google Apps)
- For Undergraduate and graduate students: use the Google web interface for email, and the full suite of G Suite for Education apps
- Rice faculty, staff, and current graduate students: use the Google web interface for the G Suite for Education apps except for email*.
*As of June 2020, all new staff and faculty will be accessing their Rice Mail through Google instead of Webmail. This does not apply to faculty and staff of the Jones Graduate School of Business, the Investments and Treasurer office, Development and Alumni Relations office and the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. If you are unsure as to whether this new policy will affect you please reach out to the OIT Help Desk.
Core Apps are governed by the G Suite For Education agreement between Rice University and Google and available to active Rice Accounts. Some of these applications are Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs/Sheets/Slides and Sites.
To access applications in G Suite for Education:
- Go to: www.google.com
- Login: email@example.com
- Password: Rice google password
Step 1: Upon logging in, select the Core Apps menu
To access Rice Google Mail:
- Go to https://accounts.google.com
- Login: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: Your Rice Google Apps password
- To view the contents of your Inbox: click on the Inbox.
- To send a new message: click Compose.
- To view a message in your inbox, click on the Subject of the message.
- To search your Inbox for a message, type the keywords that you wish to search for into the search box at the top of the page.
- To change the Settings of your mail account, click the gear in the upper right corner.