Getting Started with IT for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Welcome to Rice University! The following information will assist you in "Getting Started" with IT resources.
New Undergraduate students (Fall Semester): Upon completion of your acceptance process, your account will be ready May 1.
NetID is your unique login credential (Username) for Rice resources.
When can I activate my NetID?
- Undergraduate Student: upon completion of your acceptance process (late April or early May) and after your initial deposit is received, you will then be eligible to activate your Rice NetID.
- Graduate Student: upon completion of the acceptance process; you will receive your graduate department acceptance notification with your NetID. You can then activate your NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your RiceID upon completion of your acceptance and admission status. You will need to follow the "Activate Your NetID" process. (Note: see next section).
- Note: "Jot down" your NetID during the activation process, you will not be able to retrieve it online.
- Rice Student ID is identified with "S" followed by 8 digits, such as S01234567.
For more information, visit, First Year Program New Student Checklist.
Activate Your NetID | Manage Your NetID Account
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: Using your Rice ID, you can "activate your NetID", Jot down your NetID
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password
- Forgot Password?
For more information, visit MyNetID Instructions
Esther Self-Service - Password Reset/Forgot PIN
- Enroll in two-factor authentication - Duo Enrollment
- Authentication - Using Duo Authentication
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
- Install VPN Client
Install VPN Client Software
Rice Acceptable Use Policy, Digital Copyright Compliance and Computer Security
In order to use computers on the Rice Network, all users must:
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
Rice Graduate Email
- Email Setup - using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Prior to January, 2019, Graduate students continue to access email (known as Cyrus mail) through Rice Webmail.
- Jones Graduate School of Business, refer to Jones Graduate School FAQ.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Students use the Google Mail and web interface for Core apps.
- Core Apps - Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, Meet.
- Google Mail - using NetID@rice.edu and Google Password
Step 1: Connect your computer to the Rice network and set it up to use Rice printers.
Note: setting up printers may vary by your department.
Step 2: Connect your mobile devices to the Rice network.
Learning Management System (LMS) : Canvas
Canvas is Rice's Learning Management System for all course-related curriculum needs.
Rice LMS > Canvas
Resources for Students
Need Technical Support?
Rice OIT Help Desk
Location: Mudd Building - Mudd 103**
Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 713-348-4357 (713-348-HELP)
Request for Help: OIT Ticket
** Walk-In Service | Student Computing Consultants
Mudd 103 | 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F
Fondren 1st Floor | 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. | After Labor Day