Topics Map > •Email, Collaboration & Storage > -Google Workspace for Education
Google Shared (Team) Drive
Do you want to store, search, and access files from anywhere and any device? Do you want to be able to access the files that were created by a team member after they have left your organization, such as a student employee? Answer: Use Google Team Drive
Google Shared (Team) Drives are shared spaces where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device. You can access files from your computer using any web browser or you can install the mobile application to access your files from your Android or iOS mobile device. While files stored on Google Drive, also known as My Drive, are owned by the Google Drive owner, the files stored in a Shared (Team) Drive belong to the team instead of an individual.
Shared Team Drive is ideal for groups of colleagues who often collaborate on documents together, such as work groups or project teams. Anyone can create a Google Team Drive and share ownership of that Drive — as well as any documents stored there —making it easy for all team members to share in the responsibility of organizing and maintaining the files. Team members can be added or removed from the Shared Drive at any time. When a team member is removed from the group, all of the files remain in the Team Drive so that the team can continue to share information and complete the necessary work.
- Files remain after a team member (faculty, staff, student, collaborator) leaves.
- All team members can see the same content.
- External users can be added to Team Drive.
- Files are searchable.
Google's Getting Started with Shared Drives
- Setup a Shared Drive - Instructions to create a Shared Drive, add members, and set permissions
- Add Files and Folders - Learn how to create folders, add and open files
- Organize Files - Instructions on how to move, delete, restore, and search for files
- Share and Collaborate - Share files with people who are not part of the designated team. (Refer to Team Drive and Security ~ next section)
- Duplicate Folders - Easiest way to duplicate folders
- Shared Drive Limits - Some space limitations for Google Workspace Shared Drives
Team Drive and Security
- Refer to the ITSO website: Risk Classification > Approved Services when sharing data with collaborators
- Refer to the: Google Drive/Docs Security and Privacy Recommendations