Getting Started with IT for Faculty
The following information will assist you in "getting started" with information technology resources at Rice University including: activating your NetID account, setting up two-factor authentication, setting up your email account, viewing the Rice Acceptable Use Policy, copyright & information security, connectivity to Rice network, and teaching and learning resources such as Canvas (learning management system).
- New hire paperwork must be completed with Human Resources before you are eligible for activating your Rice NetID.
- Your Rice NetID is established within 24-48 hours in which you will receive an email that includes your RiceID upon completion of your employment status. You will need to follow the "Activate Your NetID" process.
- Note: "Jot down" your NetID during the activation process, you will not be able to retrieve it online.
- Manage Your NetID Account: Account Summary, change your NetID and/or Google password, create email alias, select primary email alias
- Activate your NetID: Using your Rice ID, you can "activate your NetID", Jot down your NetID
- Password Criteria: Best practices for passwords
- Reset NetID Password
- Forgot Password?
- Enroll in two-factor authentication - Duo Enrollment
- Authentication - Using Duo Authentication
- More information - Managing Duo - Device management, iPhone, Android, etc.
- Install VPN Client
Install VPN Client Software
- Adhere and comply to the Rice Appropriate Use of Information Technology Policy
- Adhere and comply with the Digital Copyright Compliance at Rice
- Protect your computer and data by securing your computer from phishing, malware, viruses, etc.
- Rice faculty and staff access email (known as Cyrus mail) through Rice Webmail.
- Email Setup - using a mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.
- Rice faculty and staff use the Google web interface for Core apps except for Mail
- Google Core Apps - Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Groups, Contacts, Keep, Chat, Meet,
Additional Resources for faculty