Thunderbird Setup for Mac
First Time Setup
Instructions for Thunderbird first time set up on a Mac
1. Open Thunderbird. The Thunderbird icon should be located in the Dock or can be found in Finder > Applications.
2. At startup, uncheck "Always perform this check when starting Thunderbird" and click Skip Integration.
3. At the "Would you like a new email address?" screen, click Skip this and use my existing email.
4. At the Mail Account Setup screen, enter the following:
- Enter your Name in the Your name field
- Enter your Rice email address (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) in the Email address field
- Enter your Netid password in the Password field
- Leave Remember Password checked
5. Ignore the "Thunderbird failed to find settings..." message. Enter the following server information:
- Click the drop down menu and select IMAP
- Enter imap.mail.rice.edu for Incoming Hostname server
- Enter smtp.mail.rice.edu for Outgoing Hostname server
- Under SSL, select SSL/TLS both Incoming and Outgoing. The port will automatically change to 993 (Incoming) and 465 (Outgoing)
- Under Authentication, select Normal Password for both Incoming and Outgoing
- Make sure your Netid is entered for the Username field in Incoming and Outgoing