Using a Linux Shell and SSH/SFTP to Access organization.rice.edu
Using SSH to access organization.rice.edu
Using a Linux Shell and SSH/SFTP
To upload and download files from organization.rice.edu, use the following SFTP command
Begin an SSH session
the SSH command shown above. Entering this command will show a
confirmation for the server's fingerprint. Type "yes" * to continue.
- Next enter your password. (Note: it will appear as if nothing is happening as you type your password, this is normal.)
- Once you are into the system, you will be at your home directory, where you can manipulate files and folders.
- To exit, type "exit" * and press enter.
Using SFTP to Upload and Download Files/Folders
- Open another terminal or Linux shell and change directories to your local directory.
- Use the SFTP command listed above to gain access to organization.rice.edu, then type in your password
you can use the PUT and GET commands to upload and download
files/folders to organization.rice.edu respectively. In this example, I
uploaded a generic text file called "test_file" and I downloaded the
current contents of my public_html folder to my local directory. To exit
the session, once again, type "exit" *.