Proofpoint is a protection gateway for email to block known threats such as spam and phishing detection. The end-user will be able to create and maintain safelists and blocklists.
Audience: Faculty and Staff
End User Digest - How do I use the End User Digest?
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I modify my spam protection policy?WebSieve
- If you select Quarantine Spam (Deliver Low-Priority Mail), you can use WebSieve to redirect Low-Priority Mail.
Proofpoint Protection Web Application
Proofpoint is an application that provides spam, virus, and content policy infrastructure to Rice faculty and staff email accounts. All incoming email is inspected by the Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway as soon as it arrives. Messages that contain a virus, spam, or inappropriate content are sent to a Quarantine area. If email messages addressed to you end up in the Quarantine, you will receive a notification, called End User Digest, in your Inbox.
Step 1: Launch browser: Click this URL: proofpoint.rice.edu
: Login with your Rice NetID and NetID Password, select Login button.
Note: Use lowercase for Username.
: Upon login, you will see the default screen
is the Quarantine
Left Panel > Quarantine view with two folders:
1- Low Priority Mail - Quarantined
Low Priority Mail - Quarantined
What is Low Priority Mail?
Low Priority Mail - is subscription based email such as a mailing list that has the option for you to unsubscribe. Additionally, some emails come from the following mail tools include: "Evite", "Survey Monkey" and "Mail Chimp".
Toolbar functions for Low Priority Mail -Quarantined
- use this function to find an email using the 'From', 'Subject' or 'Date' fields
Block Sender- use this function to block emails and adds sender to the Blocked Senders List
- use this function to delete specific emails after adding to "Block Senders List"Release
- Use the 'Release' function to release a message to your Inbox. Note: the message can take up to one (1) hour to be delivered.
Additionally, you can 'Allow Sender' and then 'Release' if the sender is one that you want to allow email to be sent directly to your Inbox.Allow Sender
- use this function to add sender to the Safe Senders ListOptions-
ability to request another End User Digest, refresh the screen, or delete all email in this quarantine.Logout
- top right of the Proofpoint Web Application window. Use to "log out" of portal.Username
< your Primary email address>
- Use the 'Release
' function to release a message to
your Inbox. Note: the message can take up to one (1) hour to be delivered.
Additionally, you can 'Allow Sender' and then 'Release' if the sender
is one that you want to allow email to be sent directly to your Inbox.
To the top
Quarantined - Spam
Here is a list of any suspicious mail Proofpoint has quarantined.
Toolbar functions for Quarantined-SpamFind
- use to search for an emailRelease and Allow Sender
- use this function to release an email and add sender to the Safe Sender list.Release
- if you see a legitimate email message in the list of quarantined items, you can forward it to your inbox. Check the box to the left of the message and choose Release from the toolbar at the top of the Quarantined-Spam page. Note: the message can take up to one (1) hour to be delivered.
Additionally, you can 'Allow Sender' and then 'Release' if the sender is one that you want to allow email to be sent directly to your Inbox.
Not Spam- identify as Not SpamAllow Sender
- if you would like to add the sender of a message to your Safe Senders List, check the box to the left of the message and choose Allow Sender
from the toolbar.Options
- ability to request another End User Digest emailed your account or to "Delete All" messages in the Quarantine-Spam. Messages left in Quarantine-Spam will be purged after 30 days.
My Lists - Safe Senders List and Blocked Senders List
1-Safe Senders Lists
- In the toolbar, select New
to add a sender to the Safe Senders List
. or just view
the safe senders that you have deemed safe for delivery.
2-Blocked Senders Lists - View the email addresses/domains you or Proofpoint have blocked. Or, using toolbar, add New address to Blocked Senders List.
You have the ability to add or remove email addresses/domains from both lists.
To the top
My Profile > Settings > My Settings
What type of spam detection do you want? This feature allows you to select your spam protection policy.
- Default - By default, Quarantine Spam and Low Priority Mail are delivered to the respective Quarantine folders
- Quarantine Spam Only - if you select this policy, Low Priority Mail will be delivered to the Inbox
- No Quarantine - if you select this policy, all Spam and Low Priority Mail will be delivered to the Inbox
* If you select Quarantine Spam (Deliver Low-Priority Mail), you can use WebSieve
to redirect Low-Priority Mail. See the sample below, just add the name of your folder(s).
Else if > any of >the following matches
if message header > X-Proofpoint-Tag contains lowpriority
File into> Name of folder
Select "Save Changes"
My Profile > Account > My Account
Under My Account, Email: your primary email address and Name.
Aliases: all email aliases