NetID - Password Criteria and Account Recovery
This document lists requirements for creating a new password.
- Passwords should be eight (8) characters or longer in length (pass phrases are highly recommended)
- Be secure and memorized. (Writing down passwords is not recommended)
- Contain at least one (1) character from each of the three (3) following character sets:
- Upper case letter (A-Z)
- Lower case letter (a-z)
- Digit (0-9)
- Special character (! ?. )
- Be secured and private.
- Passwords should not contain a common proper name, NetID, email address, initials, first, middle, or last name in forward or reverse format.
- Passwords should not be or contain a dictionary word if less than 12 characters.
- Have been used previously in the last year.
Best Practices for passwords:
- Each password chosen is new and unique for each account.
- Don't write it down.
- Don't share it with anyone.
- Do change the password regularly - every six months or so. (Change your password when you change your clocks for Daylight Savings Time)
- Do change the password if it is shared or if you think someone else may know it.