Saving your Google Drive Documents
How to backup and save your Google Drive account when leaving Rice
When your Rice GSuite for Education account is deleted, any files you own in Google Drive will be lost unless you take steps to back them up or change their ownership. Use Google Takeouts to back-up your data.
Backup: Download your documents
You can download documents from Google Drive, even if you're not the listed owner.
- Go to Drive and click the checkbox next to any document.
- Click the "More" button. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click "Download".
- Click "All documents".
- Make sure the file types are what you expect, then click the "Download" button.
- Google will create a .zip archive of your files, and your download of the files will begin automatically.
- Once the download has completed, open the file to expand it into a folder containing all of your documents.
If a document that you created with your Rice Google account needs to remain accessible to others after you leave the university, you can change its ownership to another Rice account.
- Go to Drive and click the checkbox or checkboxes next to the documents you own whose ownership you want to change.
- Click the Share button (it looks like a person's head and shoulders, with a + ).
- If you haven't already shared the documents with the person you want to have own them, do so now.
- Click that person's sharing permissions and change them to "Is owner". IMPORTANT: This option will only appear if you own all of the documents you've selected, and it will only work if the account you're trying to make the owner has a rice.edu email address.
- Click "Save changes".